Though your words only seemed to further sour his expression. "I'm so-sorry," the words came out again, his facade beginning to crack as his hands broke from yours to clench the fabric of your bedsheets.

You frowned, sitting up to meet his gaze. "I wasn't strong enough. Maybe if I had better control over my cursed energy, I wouldn't have had my head cut off."

But your attempts at remediation didn't seem to work as he continued to pout. This was new. He's been playfully sad of course - but never this inconsolable. No matter how much you wanted to rule it out as his usual jest, you could clearly feel his distress through the red string that was still joining you together.

At a complete loss of what to do, you ran your fingers through his hair as you pulled him up for a hug as he tensed in your hold. "What can I do to show you that I'm fine?"

Satoru wordlessly broke out of your embrace. "It's not something you need to do. Forget about it."

You couldn't accept his non-response, huffing out your impatience. "Satoru, please. Tell me what you need."

Shooting his eyes towards you, he firmly grabbed your wrists. In shock, your breath hitched. Your primal instincts were yelling at you to run, but even you were having a hard time understanding why. His eyes were eerily cold, fixated directly into yours to capture every flash of emotion that dared to cross your face.

Eventually, the air returned to your lungs and you were able to come back to your senses. He may be powerful, but he's also Satoru. He would never hurt you. So you moved your hands up to his cheeks before you could feel him flinch at your touch.

Unraveling between your fingertips, tears fell from his eyes as he finally lost control of his breathing. Pulling you into a firm hug his warmth was comforting, even after this random spur of indistinguishable bleakness.

"Just let me apologize, ok?" He choked in your shoulder, gently brushing his head against your neck. This time, his hold was less controlling and more... sincere. It was hard to pinpoint what it was, from his odd tension to this display of raw sadness. Melting in your arms as you struggled to keep the both of you afloat, there had to be something more to it than the Fushiguro incident. Maybe there was a complication with your treatment. Did you die?

The only way you could find that out is if you ask. But it didn't feel right in this moment. All you could do was nod and accept his embrace. "Fine... whatever it is, I forgive you."

It went on like this, some sort of silent tango of woes you entertained without understanding why. But it was necessary. Whatever timeline you both wound into, whatever messes you both made, no decision can truly be permanent. But that does not mean there are no consequences.

Living in the steel-locked cage of Satoru Gojo's heart was a pain from a different timeline. One where a series of unfortunate events led to your demise through his own two hands. Though, not even he had the luxury of context. For all he knew, he was capable of ending your life on a whim. How could he protect you if he was your biggest threat?

As you fell into a trail of thought, Satoru came back from his own. Kneeling at the side of the bed, he held onto your hand as he delicately stroked it with his thumb. "I'm... really glad you're ok." He nervously muttered, eyes looking everywhere but you. "The others will be coming soon. They're in class, but when it's over they'll be here."

"Why aren't you in class?" You asked, trying to connect your gaze with his but he distanced himself in a yawn.

"I got a clan exemption for now," Satoru stretched up. "We're not engaged, but because of the contract from 2018 my family was able to negotiate an exemption so I could keep an eye on you."