103

"This is Miss L/n?"

It hadn't been too long since you both arrived at the Gojo residence, but it definitely felt like it's been an eternity. Since Satoru's parents were eyeing you down, you were far from comfortable. Satoru could very much conclude that much.

"Mom, Dad," Satoru tried his best to interrupt the discomfort, looking towards his parents before taking a step infront of you to divide the space. "Can't we have a little time to settle in before this interrogation?"

"Interrogation?" Satoru's mom questioned before quickly dismissing the thought. "Oh, it's nothing of the sort! Y/n dear, please make yourself at home."

But that didn't seem to help in the slightest. Though his mom tried to be polite, his father was a lot less accommodating. "This isn't just another friend of yours, Satoru. This is clan business."

Satoru rolled his eyes. "Clan business? Give me a break. It's not urgent, so can't it wait?"

"Honey, let the two of them have their fun," Once again Satoru's mom tried to chime in, but she was quickly dismissed by old man Gojo.

"Y/n L/n, what grade sorcerer are you?"

Getting straight to the point. Nevertheless, you weren't prepared for such a sudden question. Luckilly Satoru was, so he jumped in on your behalf. "She's a special grade. Now come on Y/n-"

"I didn't ask you." His father growled with a node of distaste in his words. He was quick to push his own son aside. "I asked the girl, let her speak. Now, what grade are you?"

You gulped. After a moment to recoup yourself, you were finally able to let the response leave your lips. "A-a special grade, sir."

"A special grade then," He muttered under his breath in disbelief, "the papers say you are, you and Satoru both claim it, but you don't feel like a special grade. You feel pathetic."

"Dad-!"

"Quiet."

His father was quick to snap back, silencing him completely. You awkwardly hung your head low as Satoru gritted his teeth. "Tell me what grade you actually are."

You pressed your lips together firmly. "A low grade three."

"That makes more sense," the old man huffed out, crossing his arms. "The only merit you have is your technique. You were just born lucky."

Time after time, you've heard the same thing. You're weak, pathetic... at this point could you even disagree? You are weak, and you know this firsthand. The times you've been saved or been helpless gravely outnumbered any use you ever had. And so a simple phrase left your lips.

"I'm sorry."

You suddenly felt a firm flick to your forehead. As you heard your head in pain, Satoru once again looked angrily towards his father. Though silenced before, he just couldn't stand on the sidelines any longer. "What are you doing?!?"

"No wonder why you're so pathetic," Satoru's dad looked at you in disapproval. "Why the hell are you apologizing? Did you choose to be weak?"

As your lips curled in dismay, you quietly shook your head.

"Then stand up for yourself. Prove me wrong- prove to me you're worthy of your status."

Your lips quivered momentarily before you looked back up at Satoru's father. Though you've heard the words over and over again and you knew deep in your heart you were weak, no one has ever asked you to prove yourself before. It came at such a shock you couldn't help but let the next phrase slide off your lips. "But why do I have to prove myself to you?"