chapter two

You knocked slightly on the side of the entrance. Your head peeking in first, you stood by before you took small steps into the home of the new family.

Your hands were occupied with a woven basket, like the bag you held earlier full of decorations.

"Hello." You spoke quietly, the mother of the family turning to look at you. She still seemed a bit angered from the encounter before. As you recall, your mother, Ronal had clashed with her while they asked for shelter.

She looked you up and down ever so slightly, smiling at you, "Yes. Hello." She replied, gathering the attention of the father and the young girl. The three other adolescents of the two in the back setting up their things.

"I have brought you and your family home necessities." You began, putting the basket out further slightly, "It is not much. But it is items that can be useful during your stay here." You finished, you handed the basket fully over to the mother.
"You should not worry." You spoke, seeing as they seemed a bit bothered to be there. "Irayo." (thank you.) The mother replied. The father turned to the rest of his family, "And what do we say?" He spoke. Different pitches of 'thank you's filled the room. You put your hands up slightly, shaking your head you spoke, "kea tìkin." (No need, you're welcome.)

The young girl hid behind the leg of her mother, she clasped onto it with her hands, looking at you before a smile traced onto her face. "What's your name?" She asked, her voice light and full of energy.

You looked down at her, and waved slightly, "Y/N, that is my name." You replied. "What is yours?" You asked. "Tuk! Tuktirey! But I like Tuk!" She replied eagerly.

Your smile growing bigger at Tuk. "Okay, Tuk."

You stood straight, looking at the rest of the family. They began to introduce themselves. Even though the oldest daughter seemed to have been irritated in the moment.

You learn their names. Neytiri, the mother and Jake, the father. Kiri is the eldest daughter, then there's Tuk. Neteyam and Lo'ak being their two sons. Neteyam is the eldest between the two.

You nodded after they finished, placing your hands behind your back. "My sister and brother will take your children out to the water shortly. We will begin training today." You informed the parents, "My parents will guide you and your mate." You then added.

It seemed that the idea of getting into the water sparked even more joy in Tuk.

"Are they ready?" Your sister questioned as you entered your marui. "It seems so." You replied, you didn't tell her you'd be taking a basket full of items with you to their home, you never told others what you were doing, as your favors and acts of service were something you'd enjoy doing silently. You don't expect praise, and if they do, that comes on it's own. You won't push it.

The siblings jumped into the water differently than you and your own. More recklessly. You looked at your sister, she had signed to them. 'Come, swim with us.' She smiled at you soon after and shrugged. Her smile stayed put as she looked back at the group. They were in awe, looking at the beautiful colors of coral that decorated the space and stunning creatures that slowly swam around and through the water.

You took notice of Neteyam. Watching him look at the different environment, eyes piercing each object and creature as he smiled and ran his fingers on some.

You enjoyed the view of others appreciating the beauty of your home.

Your eyes must've too; pierced Neteyam, since he looked directly at you. Your eyes widened slightly, he smiled. 'I am sorry. Do you like it?' You signed to him. But all he could do was furrow his eyebrows and slightly tilt his head at you.

Like his siblings, he then pulled a slightly pained face and retreated to the surface. You and your siblings looked at each other and then at the top of the water where the group broke free. 'Those guys at bad at diving.' Your brother signed to you and your sister. You shook your head, your eyebrows furrowing as you looked him up and down. Him and his friend, Rotxo rolling their eyes as Tsireya had signed— 'Stop. They are learning.'

'You must be patient. They are trying.' You signed right after. The two boys dismissed you and Tsireya and swam to the surface as well.

They took deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling quickly. You and your siblings reached the surface as well, then Tuk spoke. "You're too fast! Wait for us!" She whined, you placed a hand on her shoulder, as your sister spoke for you. "Just breathe." She inhaled, and exhaled slowly. "Breathe."

Ao'nung began to smile, "You guys are not good divers. Maybe good at swinging through trees but—" Your sister had placed a smack on his head, he scoffed, while you added another to his shoulder. You shook your head. "They are learning." You repeated. Lo'ak replying to Ao'nung defensively.

Neteyam spoke up, "Look. We don't speak this..finger talk. We don't know what you're saying." He motioned his fingers around, attempting to mimic what he saw between you and Tsireya.

"That is why we will teach you." You answered, you removed your hand from Tuk's shoulder. "You are learning, it is okay." You reassured the group. In hopes that their frustrations would settle down.

Neteyam's eyes blinked at you as you spoke, he smiled. You copied.

You, Neteyam, and Kiri retreated back to the group. You all had lost her earlier. And it was urgent to try and find her. Neteyam agreed to follow after you stated you'd go and look for her, while Tsireya will guide the rest of the group. He was also worried for her.

You swam above the water for a little, in order to get space so you'd be able to dive quickly. You hadn't been too considerate of Neteyam's experience with swimming since you had gone off to fast and left him behind. You turned around and motioned for him to come to you, you didn't go back for him. He had to learn.

He would occasionally swim back up to the surface for a breath of air, then try to swim down to you again. You smiled at him, his frustration would leave his face and he'd grin at you. Sometimes he'd laugh slightly and his sharp teeth would be revealed.

Once he caught up with you, he reached out his hand. You took it gently, and began to swim towards where you think Kiri might be. His hand was tight around yours, you'd look to his side to check up on him. He was still admiring the beauty around, he would look at you and do the same. Admire.

After a few more times of resurfacing for water,  you finally reached a spot. The beautiful coral and vibrant colors of the life below the surface engulfed Kiri. She wandered around; swimming peacefully and gracefully, her appreciation for the beauty around her shown on her face and how she ever so slightly touched everything.
When you saw this, your smile was just as big as Tuks. You kept your eyes on Kiri. Neteyam too admired this, just as he was admiring the scenery before. He looked to your direction, locking his stare on you. You seemed to have been more than the beauty around, you were overpowering in the sense that your smile, the warmth in your eyes and even in your hand as you held his—was beautiful. It was luring.