3: FAKE IT

There comes a time in people's lives where they need to face something over and over again, even if they wish it did not. An unavoidable occurrence; something irritating and yet it repeats as if it was on loop.

For example, a song so catchy that it's annoying when it gets stuck on someone's head: LSS, Last Song Syndrome. There's also factoring in mathematics, repeating even after the grade it was taught in.

For Jungwon, this experience takes form in a human named Jay.

Jay, that one guy who kept going back in his life as if it was a prophecy that they'd never escape from each other's presence.

Jay, the boy who did not give a single damn about him when he was in a vulnerable position, Jay who'd cross his arms and frown whenever they'd meet, Jay who'd roll his eyes and sigh loudly the moment Jungwon talks, Jay the guy who he physically fought with in elementary, Jay who is Jungwon's number 1 enemy.

Jay who wants him to be his fake boyfriend.

It all sounds insane, especially the last bit. Who in the world would think they'd end up together, even if it wasn't real? No one, not even Jay himself. But Sunghoon brought up the idea and pushed him to go for it, and now that it's all getting risky, the pressure of getting into a relationship because of the chance of him getting married off to some other rich person his parents would potentially set him up with, Jay seems to have no other choice.

A dead end. Only one way to help himself— to date. He can't bring himself to date. So like they say, fake it till you make it. Quite literally. Jay doesn't want to explain this situation to a new person, and his friends were too unlikely to be his fake partner (he has a small circle of friends, his parents all know them), so who else would he go up to?

Lo and behold, as if the universe is making fun of him, Jay approaches the one and only. Hopefully, Jungwon doesn't seem to be too disgusted by the idea of fake-dating Jay (keyword: seem) and all Jay hopes now is that his plan succeeds and that he doesn't get another punch on the face by Jungwon.

Back in their dorms, Jungwon regrets his life decisions. His entire way to the dorm after the unusual meeting with Jay, he convinced himself that the whole scenario was a con for having Sunoo as a roommate, but now that he's seated on the dining table with Sunoo in front of him, managing to rethink that it was a pro, Jungwon makes a note to himself: Kim Sunoo is one manipulative bad bitch.

"Jungwon, this is perfect. You can't let this opportunity go! This is the only way for your ex to leave you alone. Not just that, but you also get to have a rich boyfriend who'll spoil you with money. Fake or not, Jay's rich. And, hot as well. Hot and rich. And can cook. He's a total package. Are you seriously going to let that go? Are you gonna give it to another person when it could be you?"

Jungwon sighs. "Sunoo, I hate Park Jongseong."

"So fuckin' what!" Sunoo grabs on his shoulders, "Jungwon. We. Are. Talking. About. Money. Here. And a hot Jay. And a culinary student. And a gateway to get rid of your ex. So many benefits here. Word of advice here, Won: don't let hate get to you."

And just like that, Jungwon found himself in front of the Parks' dorm, which is not too far from theirs, with Sunoo cheering for him from the side- far enough to not be too noticeable, but close enough to hear all the tea.

"If this goes wrong," Jungwon looks at Sunoo with a serious face, "I'm going to kill you in your sleep."

"Love you too," Sunoo squeals and the door opens.

"Oh?" Jay had an apron on and a spatula in one hand. He smirks almost immediately upon seeing Jungwon by his doorway. "Well well well. Look what we have here."

"Corny," Jungwon flips him off with a sarcastic smile. In his head, he blames all of this to Sunoo for completely brainwashing him that this was a good idea. "'Well well well? What do we have here?' Are you kidding me? You're not in a movie, you idiot. You're fucking cringey."

"Blah blah blah. Do you always run your mouth everywhere you go? Jeez," Jay tuts. Jungwon doesn't say anything else and instead hands him a paper. With this, Jay holds it with a curious look. "What's this?"

"Terms and conditions of this whole fake-dating thing. Now, I don't want to keep you any longer or whatever your cooking would be burned. So read it, and my number's there, so we'll talk again to seal the contract. Goodbye. I have to study," Jungwon says it all in two breaths or three. He leaves almost immediately after Jay nods at him, with Sunoo walking by his side.

"That's really how you two talk to each other? All that sarcasm and being mean?" Sunoo mumbles.

"Yes. Been years since that went on, no surprise."

"Oh dear me. You two need some training to do. Your act must be convincing enough to let people think you're actually a couple, not two people who want to kill each other. Plus, your ex shouldn't be suspicious. Especially since he's smart as hell, he'll pick up any small detail."

Jungwon crosses his arms. "I don't want to talk about him."

"You gotta admit though," Sunoo pokes Jungwon's cheek, "I got a point."

This causes Jungwon to sigh and glance at him. "Fine. You have a point."

Sunoo giggles. "I always do."

Jay finds himself constantly chuckling as he goes over to what Jungwon printed.

Terms and Conditions of this Fake Relationship
by: Yang Jungwon

1. It is imperative that we must act like a couple only when others are watching. Other than that, don't act like my boyfriend in real life or else I'll throw up.

2. Only a few selected people must know. These are: Kim Sunoo (my roommate and best friend), Park Sunghoon (your roommate and best friend / Sunoo's boyfriend). Others must not know we are faking it.

3. Pet names must be discussed together. Only allowed pet names must be used, and make sure I am comfortable with it. Use a pet name I do not allow/feel comfortable in and you are dead.

4. Loving actions are not allowed, unless discussed. Eye contact must not be longer than 5 seconds. The closest you are allowed to be next to me is strictly 1 foot away.

5. Posting to social media platforms (e.g. Instagram) is allowed but personally not encouraged. However, it may be necessary so people will not find it suspicious.

6. Do not, by any means, act suspicious or fake. One of the main reasons why I accepted this is because I want to get rid of an ex, and he is quite smart, so be careful and do not let our act slip.

7. You are not allowed to come over without my permission.

8. Additional rules or adjustments may follow. Do whatever I say. But suggestions and comments are allowed.

By signing this, you accept the terms and conditions.

___________________
SIGNATURE OVER
PRINTED NAME

"What the hell," Jay laughs and shakes his head. "So many rules."

Sunghoon was beside Jay as he read, too. "Yeah, some of these need to go. And Jay, you know what I think? You two need training. How else can you both perfectly master to pretend to be boyfriends?"

"You are so right, I agree with you completely," Jay nods his head.

"Sunoo and I will be more than happy to be your mentors for a good price of free."

How can Jay refuse this reasonable and important offer? "Deal."

a/n ::

sunghoon 🤝 sunoo

the placebo effect ✘ jaywonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें