Y/n's not even sure if anything is really her anymore—it seems like everything of hers belongs, in part, to Haerin now, too.

Her bed smells like Haerin. Her shirts smell like Haerin. Y/n might not survive her first year of university if this keeps up.

"Hey," she says, holding a freshly laundered shirt in her hand. "Can we run these through the laundry again?"

"Huh? Why would we do that?" Haerin asks, folding a pair of her pants.

"Just because," Y/n says. Because even though it shouldn't smell like anything but detergent, she still feels like Haerin's scent is lingering on it, on everything, and she can't take it anymore. She wants to wash them again and again, until every last trace of Haerin is gone from them.

"What the hell?" Haerin says. "No, we're not paying for another cycle when it's clean."

Y/n crumples the shirt in her hand. "Stop wearing my shirts."

"Huh?" Haerin asks, thrown by the change in topic.

"Stop," Y/n says. "Just stop. Stop wearing my shirts to sleep. Stop coming onto my bed. Stop taking my stuff."

"What's gotten into you?" Haerin asks. She sounds almost nervous.

Y/n doesn't know what to do. She wants to keep Haerin as a friend, and she definitely doesn't want to make things awkward between them since they're living together, but she also doesn't know how else to deal with this problem.

"It's just annoying, alright?" Y/n says, harsher than she means to. "You're always taking all my space and all my stuff."

And my heart, too, apparently, she thinks, and feels so embarrassed just thinking it that she has to turn away so Haerin can't see her blush.

"I'm—I'm sorry?" Haerin says. "You should have told me before."

Y/n looks at the shirt still clenched in her hands and doesn't reply.

"I'll stop," Haerin says.

"Okay," Y/n says.

"Okay."

Haerin stops, and Y/n doesn't know if things are better or worse.

No, things are definitely worse.

Haerin doesn't wear Y/n's shirt to sleep anymore. She doesn't steal her food or take her pencils. She stops leaving notes in Y/n's planner. She doesn't spend her time on Y/n's bed, instead staying on her own bed across the room.

She also seems to be ignoring Y/n. They walk to campus together until they have to split up for their respective classes, and they meet each other for lunch, but they do so in silence. Actually, Haerin is pretty much acting like Y/n doesn't exist unless Y/n addresses her first, and then she'll jump a little, as if surprised that Y/n is speaking to her, and then she'll talk to her normally.

Y/n's life feels. Emptier. There's a huge gap in the space Haerin used to occupy, and it hurts. It feels like rejection.

The only good (if it can be called that) thing so far is that their performance on track hasn't changed—so far. Y/n guesses they're both compartmentalizing, but she's not sure how long they'll last. And if that happens, then teammates and coaches will get involved, and Y/n definitely doesn't need that in her life.

"Damn it," Y/n mutters to herself. It's been two full weeks and she already can't do this. She can't stand Haerin invading her life, but she can't stand Haerin not being in her life, either.

She's a mess.

She'll apologize to Haerin. This is her fault, after all, and Y/n is tactless and a whole lot of other bad things, but she can at least recognize that she's the one with the problem here.