8| Zion

"Hey!" his face lights up, pulling me into a hug.

I pull away. "Hey."

"Great game, huh? You know, I'm surprised you still go to this school," he says before taking a sip of his water.

I cross my arms and frown. "Why?"

He shrugs and scoffs. "They're not even good at a sport."

"We're second in this season's standings," I argue, narrowing my eyes. "How is that—"

"Could've done better," he lifts a shoulder. His expression brightens up again. "So how are you?"

"Great. You?"

He doesn't even answer my question. Instead, he looks over my head. "So, are you dating any of the players?"

I raise my eyebrows, my eyes wide. "Uh, no. Why do you ask?"

"Keep it that way," he deadpans. "I don't like those Greyson guys."

"I'm friends with them."

"Don't be."

I feel very uncomfortable right now, and I sneak a glance Hugo over my shoulder. His gaze is on us, his chin slightly tilted up as if anticipating for something to happen. The other guys look our way too, and my cheeks heat up. K . . .

Suddenly, I feel someone's presence behind me, an arm draped around my shoulders. I notice Xiao's face looking serious, calm, and casual.

"Hey, Maddox," he jerks his chin at Zion. "Know my cousin?"

"Cousin?" Zion looks at me questioningly.

The corner of Xiao's lip turns up, but his eyes are vicious. "Yeah, and me being the protective guy type, why don't you back the fu—"

"Good night, Zion," I interrupt, forcing a stiff smile and taking Xiao's wrist. I walk away, dragging Xiao with me. I turn to face him. "What was that?"

"I hate his guts. Why were you talking to him anyway?" he asks me, eyebrows furrowing.

"We have a weird relationship right now."

"What, he's your boyfriend?"

"No," I grumble. "We talked."

He drags a hand along his face. "Oh, crap, Gael. Why the hell—"

"Don't worry," I say, crossing my arms. "I'm probably not going to be talking to him in a long while."

Hugo jogs towards me, his eyes holding an emotion I can't decipher. "Everything good?"

"Everything's fine," I assure him. "What about you?"

He lets out an exasperated sigh, glancing at the floor. "I don't even want to talk about Camber right now." He meets my eyes again, a muscle in his jaw ticking. "You sure you're fine? You seemed uncomfortable talking to Zion."

Xiao snorts. "Yeah, her boyfriend."

Hugo shoots Xiao a glare.

"Well, I kind of was," I say, then shake my head. "It's fine. I'm sure we'll clear it up soon."

James approaches the three of us, patting Hugo's shoulder twice with a fist. "Hey, we're going to Jonah's house for dinner. You coming, too, Gael?"

I shake my head. "Can't. Homework."

"Upperclassmen don't get a lot of homework," he remarks, making a face.

"Yeah, well, tell that to my advanced chem teacher."