Chapter IX - Cold (1.5)

"I-is that so? Okay then." Facing Gu Chen, Shen Shu shrunk back instinctively and retreated back to his seat.

He felt Gu Chen's cold gaze follow him. As someone labeled as a loser by teenage society, the sensation reminded him of a popular girl's indifferent attitude.

We're both people of the same species, yet why are you looking at me like that? Shen Shu wanted to cry.

Oblivious to Shen Shu's predicament, Su Wan and Gu Chen were busy looking at Gu Chen's profile.

"This is a good title." Su Wan pointed at [Ice Cold Prince]. "It gives you mastery over your emotions. It doesn't just help calm you down, it also helps you hide your feelings. The only downside is you always give the impression of being too cold. It's good for avoiding unnecessary social contact though."

Gu Chen nodded his head in understanding. He looked back at Shen Shu. From Song Ming's memories, he was a good and earnest friend. Gu Chen raised his thumb towards him inwardly.

Shen Shu jolted. He peeked at Gu Chen. He was still staring at the same intensity.

Song Ming, did I do something wrong? He sorrowfully thought to himself. This sad line of thinking was interrupted by the teacher entering the room.

Gu Chen felt his palms sweat anxiously. It was the teacher during the zombie outbreak in school. He calmed himself down and hid the lunch box under the bag. He also kicked the removed items further under his seat.

The class settled down and the afternoon session started. The clock in the classroom tick-tocked at a languid pace. With every second, Gu Chen's anxiety grew.

As a male lead for several worlds, he's had his fair share of facing different opponents. He also admits that he has killed before. The sight of corpses has rarely given him dread. But zombies...?

He isn't afraid of those undead with their bloody innards sticking out. What he was most concerned of is getting that blood on him. Just the thought of those disgusting infected blood and rotting flesh makes him grimace.

He'd even be running around trying to survive from them. How many days would he not be able to take a shower? This thought is torture itself.

Gu Chen pushed his misgivings deep in his mind. Forget about it, he isn't so stiff that he'd be unwilling to roll in the dust for the sake of his life. It won't change a hot shower as one of his priorities later on though.

The monotonous speech of the teacher was finally broken with the ear-piercing screams from below.

"I'll go check," said the teacher. He was clearly annoyed with the disturbance. Then he left the class who talked to each other about what the noises downstairs were.

Gu Chen observed the situation silently. It didn't take long for them to see the teacher running back, clearly panicked at what he saw.

'So it begins.' Gu Chen thought.

He stood up to meet the teacher at the surprise of his classmates who were still sitting down obediently.

"Close the door and windows! Close it!" The teacher panted as he arrived inside.

Gu Chen closed the door immediately behind him.

"What are you doing? I told you to close it! Go help Song Ming!" The teacher shouted at the students.

At the initiation of both Gu Chen and the teacher, the students quickly closed everything. Then they started stacking the chairs immediately. Their response was quicker than Song Ming's last life. By the time the zombies came, they have already finished the barricade.

The bloody undead pounded on the doors and windows, looking at the people inside with a great hunger. The students stepped back scared and confused.

"Teacher, w-what is happening?" A trembling girl with twintails pointed at the zombies.

The teacher gave no reply and just sat back down. He's a middle aged man and he just had his most intense workout in ten years.

The zombies were relentless at trying to go inside. This determination unnerved a lot of the students and some started crying. The others tried to call the authorities or their parents to get them out of there.

A boy stepped forward and urged everyone to calm down. This was the class representative. This was also Lin Yuan.

Gu Chen observed Lin Yuan. He was tall, just a few centimetres short of Song Ming. He also had an amicable face that seemed to brighten whenever he smiled. It was evident that he was the school's greatest heartthrob.

"Wow, he's really handsome," awed Su Wan.

"I'm more handsome." Gu Chen scoffed.

So what if Lin Yuan is this school's heartthrob? This daddy has been the heartthrob of schools for multiple lifetimes. These schools are even for the elite that were filled with rich beauties.

"Yes, you're more handsome." Su Wan thoughtlessly agreed. This was her true opinion. Gu Chen's actual appearance transcends Lin Yuan's.

Gu Chen smugly smiled inside.

Shen Shu approached Gu Chen with an expression full of disbelief.

"This can't be happening. Song Ming, those students are just acting right?" Shen Shu nervously laughed at the zombies at the windows with half of their faces bitten off.

Gu Chen simply took him to the other set of windows and made him look down. The outside of the building was filled with running students being chased by zombies. A lot were caught and quickly swarmed all over by zombies. Their screams as their guts were ripped open were easily heard throughout the campus.

Shen Shu paled at the gruesome sights. "No way... It really is zombies."

Gu Chen left him to his own. It's best for Shen Shu to get used to the situation as soon as possible alone. This way, once they get out of here he would be more mentally prepared.

Gu Chen approached the teacher and suggested to cover the windows. While talking, Lin Yuan suddenly joined them.