Chapter III - Conditions

He tried to catch Su Wan, but she just passed through his soul. He didn't know what to do. He calmed himself down and tried to think of other ways as he chased after the bird.

"Settle down. She's just unconscious," said the unknown woman. He was surprised. He and Su Wan have been going downward for a long time but she just suddenly appeared below them from high above.

The woman held out her soft white palm nonchalantly and caught Su Wan. Though she fell for a long time, Su Wan landed as light as a feather. He was relieved and stopped his chase. He then immediately questioned the strange woman.

"Who are you? What did you mean by no?" His deep and magnetic voice was demanding.

The woman chuckled in amusement at his tone. He observed her. She was really beautiful and charming. Her long black hair looked like silk. It ran from her head until it reached her ankles. Hairpins and other accessories of gold and fine stones held her hairstyle that resembled that of the long ears of a rabbit. She wore a long flowing ancient green dress that made her seem like an immortal above anyone. Her face seemed gentle and approachable, but it was in stark contrast to the arrogant disposition she gave out.

She smiled at him with her soft rosy lips. A perfect set of white teeth was shown. "I'm Qin Yue. I am Su Wan's advisor."

She scrutinized him despite being a formless soul. As if satisfied with what she saw, she licked her lips. If he could have goosebumps at this moment, he would. He stared at her in slight disdain and disgust.

"As expected of a male lead of your caliber. You're not easily bewitched by beauty." She lazily played with her hair using her other hand. "You can't be a task-taker."

His heart froze. If he can't, he'll be back to where he was before?

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"When certain characters of the main stories of different universes become too repetitive, sometimes a placeholder soul is used for that type of character to conserve energy. The higher ups call this phenomenon character trope. It interferes with the reincarnation of the soul involved, but it's something the universes do themselves, so we can't do anything about it." She waved her hand dismissively. "And one of those unlucky souls was you. You're very popular, so we can't just let you go. If not, a lot of universes will be displeased. To become a task-taker is directly plucking a soul to serve us indefinitely. You will be entering worlds and universes of all kinds. You won't be reincarnating, and all those universes that had you will lose their male leads. A soul cannot be replicated so we have to bring you back."

He was devastated. Go back? Him?

Never!

"I'm not going." His voice was cold and carried a seething anger. "You can do whatever you want but I won't be going willingly."

Qin Yue looked at him with brows raised. "Do you think you can beat me?"

"I don't know, and I don't care. I want to be a task-taker. I'm willing to do whatever it takes," he resolutely said.

Qin Yue stared at him in silence for a few moments. She rubbed her chin in thought for a while before talking. "Hmmm... Okay."

He was dumbstruck. "...That's it?"

"Yeah, I don't really want to force you if you don't want to. Besides, you're already bound to Su Wan. I'm too lazy to separate you two. There's some conditions though."

"What are they?" He asked in anticipation. For freedom, he's willing to trade anything.

"Firstly, since your soul went through many lifetimes, it's too powerful." She waved her hand again and a screen appeared in front of him.

System Number: 42069

Name: ???

Age: ???

Titles: Ice Cold King, Fortuitous Son of the Heavens, God of Business, Two-faced Charmer, Absolute Tyrant, Legendary Debonair, Unparalleled Savant

Soul Points: 0

Soul Energy: 15478

Intelligence: 10513

Charm: 11859

Luck: 10112

Will: 10478

Combat: 8311

Skills: Ultimate Business Administration, Advanced Sexual Intercourse, Advanced Etiquette, Advanced Networking, Intermediate CQC, Intermediate Gun Shooting, Intermediate Calligraphy, Intermediate Gambling, Intermediate Technological Understanding, Intermediate Instrument Playing, Intermediate Vehicle Driving, Intermediate International Language Fluency, Intermediate Poetry, Basic Survival Techniques, Basic Scientific Understanding, Basic Acting, Basic Equestrian Riding

Items:

Faith Points: 8775

Karma: 20/80

Gu Chen read his profile. When he saw advanced sexual intercourse listed as one of his skills, he was speechless. This counts too?

Qin Yue noticed his reaction and grinned knowingly. She continued her explanation. "I have to separate your soul into your different incarnations and send them back. That should appease most of those universes you've been to. It's going to hurt. Like a lot. But hey, no pain no gain, right?"

"Yes."

"Choose then. Who are you?"

He thought for a while who he was. He has been so many people. He thought of the time when he first became aware of his situation. He was Gu Chen, a man who possessed an extensive food empire. Gu Chen was also the body he had the most control of. He was also his favourite identity.

"Gu Chen." He answered.

The woman seemed disappointed, but she fulfilled his answer anyway. With a snap of her fingers, golden chains appeared from behind her and held him in place. He felt pieces of himself strip away. His soul shook, the pain bursting all over. Gu Chen held back his screams of pain. A moment of torment is better than an eternity of entrapment.

The pieces of his soul that were stripped away zoomed in different directions of the white expanse to reunite with their respective planes. When the procedure was finally finished, Gu Chen felt that his soul was about to collapse and disperse with a simple breeze.