50: To Save Those You Love

Start from the beginning

"Shouldn't you be using this time to spend time with your sisters?"

The Hashira chuckled, "They aren't the only important people in my life you know?"

"I know, but isn't family the most important thing of all?"

"Hmmmm, I don't know." Kanae hummed, "What do you think Y/n-Chan?" her eyes widened owlishly, placing a hand on her own cheek, "Is this your way of telling me I'm not important to you?"

"W-What!? N-No!! I-" Y/n stuttered, stopping short though when her friend giggled.

"My, my! I was just joking."

The e/c eyed girl just sighed.

"I think family is anyone you're willing to fight for." Kanae chuckled, lifting a finger up so a butterfly could perch on it, "That means you truly love and care about them a lot."

"Maybe, but the Slayers fight for everyone, and I know they don't see everyone as family."

"My, my, Y/n-Chan and how could you know that?" She smiled, "You can be so negative sometimes you know, just like your brother..."

"I'm just saying Kanae, its not like everyone sees everyone as family."

"Hmmm" The Butterfly tapped her chin, "I suppose your right...then..." She clapped her hands together, "How about this!? Every existing person you know and truly care about is your family!"

"That still wont work, at least for someone like you."

Kanae's mouth made an 'O' shape, "Someone like me?"

"You love and care about everyone, you would immediately care for someone you just met. You would even take a sword slash for them, slayer or not."

Kanae giggled, "I'm glad you think so highly of me, and I suppose I might. Although maybe that's because I think everyone should be loved equally. No matter their gender, race, or color."

"You would be torn to shreds in the West..."

She just gave a closed eyed smile and tilted her head, before opening her eyes and looking out to the horizon, "Needless to say though, I do care about some more than others. In fact if I took a stab for someone I didn't know, I might feel a bit of regret. My lingering thoughts would affect me, I would most likely think, what about me? What about my life? Though..." She chuckled, "That would only happen for the people I just met."

Y/n raised an eyebrow, "And the people you've known?"