Chapter 9

1 week later....

In this one week, JK did and learnt a lot of things. He accompanied Shera during her hunting activities, helped her teach the kids. He learnt to row a boat and went fishing with Shaedi and his friends. He even learnt diving and spear fishing. He would help the tribal men with many activities like cutting trees and firewood, or fixing up any damages in the huts. With the tribal women, he would have conversations with them when they would be cooking and keep them entertained. He learnt cooking from the beginning. He had prepared lunch one day and everyone had enjoyed the meal. He would also help them in household chores whenever they needed. JK liked the warm feeling when would be with the women. He could say he would experience the motherly love around them, which he was deprived of at an early age. Surprisingly, he had got a huge fanbase in this short span of time. The kids loved him like anything. They would always follow him, ask him a lot of questions, try to copy the way he talks or behaves and JK also reciprocated their feelings. He would play with them on the beach sand, tell them his adventures when he was 'The King', but would brush it off as a fictional story so that the kids would not suspect him. The women adored him for his cute behaviour. They would always try to feed him more saying he's too skinny and pale. Shera wouldn't admit but she was a little jealous that JK stole his ladies gang, who used to only adore Shera but now she's been replaced by him. But she was also happy and proud of him for trying his best in mingling with the tribals. The men, initially were tough with him, in order to please the Chieftain. In the beginning they gave him a hard time with lots of work but later on opened up their hearts to him. They recognised his good nature and pure heart but didn't say it out loud. JK also made new friends. He gets along well with Shaedi, Kuya and Tam. Chieftain observed all his actions in silence.

JK experienced a lot of new things in these days on the island. But, his responsible self would always take him back to his place, Zodia Province. He would always think about his kingdom, his subjects, his ministers, his friend and not to forget, his lovely brother who was the whole world to him. From his childhood, he was always there to take care of his brother but didn't spoil him. He stood in the position of his parents and took care of all the needs of his brother. Jung Hwan never felt the void of his parents because JK filled it with his presence. Everyone praised JK for bringing himself and his brother up in such a mature way even when there were tough times. Now he was worried about the responsibilities Jung Hwan has to take while he is away. As he had taken the throne at a very young age, he knew the difficulties very well. He had trained his brother for such a day but he didn't know it would come this soon. He wanted to train and be with his brother some more but fate had different plans.

Everyday during sunset, JK would go to the beach, sit on the sand alone, stare at the setting sun on the horizon and think about his family on the other end. He feels helpless. All he can do is thank the heavens that he is alive and safe. He is not aware of the way of going back to his place or even sending them a message about his presence on the island. For now, he has to survive and let the heavens work some miracle. Shera noticed that he would always go to the beach at the sunset. On following him she got to know that he would sit alone on the sand. She didn't wanted to disturb him so she would leave him alone. After sunset, JK would return to the huts and continue his life with the tribals.

Annual Ritual Day....

In the past week, JK also participated in the preparation activities. He would collect herbs and flowers from the forest, prepared firewood for the sacrifice bonfire, hunted few animals for the sacrifice and got insights on the ritual. The ritual would begin after sunset, continue with many performances and end with the sacrifice to the Goddess.

The huts were all decorated. A little deep inside the forest was the idol of the Goddess where the ritual will take place. Everyone was excited. The place was filled with energy and enthusiasm. Preparations had begun early in the morning itself. Everyone took bath in the lake. Men got busy in doing last minute checks and transporting the required things from the huts to the ritual place. Women began preparing the meal for the night. Eventually, the time was here.

As usual, JK went to the beach during sunset for his alone time. The ritual would start after it was dark so he could spend time here without having to worry. Like always, he sat on the sand and stared at the orange sun going down slowly into the water. Through his peripheral vision he could sense someone sitting next to him. He turned to his right. Shera sat down on the sand, keeping her distance from him. She brought her knees close to her chest and sat hugging it. She noticed JK seeing her but didn't turn towards him. After sometime, JK set his gaze back on the setting sun.

"Sorry that I'm interrupting your alone time but you have nothing to worry. It'll be like I'm not even here, I promise", Shera defended herself. JK just listened to her without responding but inside he was happy that he had company. He was happy that she noticed him and decided to join. They both watched the sunset in silence. Shera was planning to do something and now was the perfect time as it was dark and everyone would be busy with the ritual. She asked JK to stand up. When he stood up, she took his hand and ran towards the forest with a panicked JK following her. He asked her to stop or even tell him where she was taking him but she chose to answer him with just a 'Follow me'.

The full moon shown brightly in the sky illuminating the earth with its silver rays. It was beautiful. Shera brought JK to a waterfall situated inside the forest. This waterfall connects to a river which in the end joins the ocean. The scenery was breathtaking. Shera nudged JK bringing him back to reality and asked him to settle down on the rock nearby. She also sat on a rock next to it.

After a minute of awkward silence, Shera broke it with her words

After a minute of awkward silence, Shera broke it with her words. "All these days, you have tried your best in adjusting with us. I'm happy about it. But I realised that not even once did I properly ask or listen to your story. Believing it or not will come later but I should have atleast given you a chance to share your thoughts, your worries. Sorry about that. There's still time for the ritual to begin. So now, I'll give you that chance. Tell me who you really are JK. I'm all ears. I'll listen to whatever you'll say without judging or interrupting you"......