Chapter Sixteen: The Search

Start from the beginning

"No. I am guessing his family found out about your relations with him and shunned him," he said.

"Damn it," I mumbled, turning to Adkins. "We have to take our time. His family might have locked him away."

Or worse.

I shivered at the thought.

No Christoper, focus. The more attentive you are, the more you have a chance of finding him.

"Thank you...?" I started.

"Paul," the boy answered.

I nodded, "Paul. Thank you Paul. If what you say is correct, you will be rewarded greatly."

Turning to Adkins and the soldiers outside, I motioned my head to the horses.

"Let's go."

We hopped back on our horses and followed a path outside of town. It was close to the border, and Adkins made us go slowly in case Paul's words were a trap.

The snow was not even one inch in depth, and there were no longer on the trees. I did not need to bring an extra coat.

It was silent as we walked—except for the sound of hooves on mushy snow. It was still winter, so the animals were rarely present. When a manor came into view, I held my breath.

I should not be so hopeful yet since this is the second building we have come across.

We circled around the round-a-bout until we reached the front door. I hopped off of Bella, energy still as high as it was at the bakery. I knocked on the door and let my eyes wander to the stained glass windows. I sighed when I could not see anything on the other side.

The front door of the manor swung open, revealing a middle-aged man and an excited boy. The boy wore a hopeful smile, but a distant fire burned in his eyes. I frowned as I looked around.

Adrien was not here.

"Your highness," the middle-aged man greeted with a bow.

I nodded at him, studying his facial expressions. Adkins stepped up and spoke for me.

"We are here for a legally required test," she explained, repeating the words from the bakery. "Do you understand that you are not allowed to speak of this until our search is over and that doing so results in severe punishment?"

"Yes," both of the men replied.

"Well then, do you perhaps own a glass shoe?" she asked.

The middle-aged man's grin grew, "I do."

He stepped off to the side and grabbed a glass shoe. He presented it to me, making my eyes widen. It was the same as Adrien's shoe!

I shook my head. Focus. It might be a replica.

"And this belongs to...?" Adkins asked.

The man patted the other boy's shoulders. The boy stepped forward with a smile.

"My son, Daniel, of course," the man replied. "It seems like he is the boy you are to wed! We are honored."

Adkins turned to me and nodded, letting me ask my question next.

"I still have to ask another question," I said.

The man's smile faltered but he reluctantly agreed.

"If you are truly the boy I met at the royal ball, what was the place I showed you before the clock struck midnight?"

Daniel frowned and began fidgeting, "Um... the place you showed me was uh..."

I raised one of my eyebrows.

"Your bedroom, um... of course."

I shook my head, "That was incorrect."

The man glared at Daniel as he looked at their wooden floors. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"Let's get going," I said to Adkins.

She put a hand on my shoulder, stopping me from going on Bella. "Wait a minute, your highness. Sir, do you have any other sons?"

The man froze before shaking his head. "...No, but I have a daughter, if you are interested."

Just as he said that, a girl ran to the door with a smile. She curtseyed and fluttered her eyes at me. I grimaced—it was obvious this family was desperate to land a position with me.

Adkins sighed, "No thank you, sir."

"Let's go," I frowned.

We turned to our horses before I heard loud footsteps moving towards the door. I looked back and found the familiar tufts of brown hair.

Adrien!

Adrien ran to the front door. His clothes were filthy and his lean muscles no longer filled them. My frown deepened at his appearance. He has not eaten.

"Wait! Wait-" he panted, leaning on the doorframe. "I'm still here!"

A cat snuggled his legs from behind. The cat walked outside to me and meowed. I leaned down, petting his soft black fur.

I looked up at the exhausted brunette and smiled. At least he was here.

My Adrien was here.

---

A/N - I'll definitely edit this story a bit after I finish it, so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes! Also, I'm going to do a Q&A for both me and the characters. Leave any questions here!

 Leave any questions here!