Chapter 1 (Prologue)

MAY

Tick, tock, tick, tock. The sound of Z's second hand ticked over and over. The intensity was high...sweat was pouring down both our heads. Finally, I said the words we've been waiting for. "Do you have an 8 of diamonds?"

"BAH!" Z said, exasperated. She slammed her 8 of diamonds onto my side of the table, and I laughed affectionately. "I win, again."

Z sighed, defeated. "May, you ALWAYS win. I can't wait to destroy you at bowling in 13 weeks."

"Jeez you're counting?"

"Of course I am! Why wouldn't I be counting down the days until our yearly break?!"

"Alright, alright." I chuckled, "Let's go check on Will, we haven't seen him in a while. Also I think Debby made chocolate chip cookies." Z jumped up instantly with shining eyes, and ran out the door.

I laughed to myself as I walked out the door, inhaling the wonderful smell of books. That was one of the perks of living in a library, the smell of books. Z thought I was weird for liking the smell, but I didn't care. As I went to follow her, I glanced up at the giant gold key sitting in the case on the top of the stairs. The one thing we are meant to guard, the one thing we couldn't let out of our reach, the one thing needed to escape.