IX. Right Person, Wrong Time

. . • • 🫶🏼 • • . .

[ Narrator's POV ]
It was Wednesday afternoon, and Bruce had just gotten off his bike.

He ran over to Ella and she looked up at the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Hey! It's the lovesick boy! Did you ask the cutie out yet?" Ella smiled at Bruce and he shook his head and Ella's smile faltered a little.

"What's the matter? Things can't be that bad.." Ella wondered and Bruce shook his head once again and smiled a little.

"No! I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.. But listen, Ella I need your help" Bruce muttered and Ella nodded.

"Sure, how can I help?" Ella asked while taking a pretzel out of the oven and taking a bite.

"I, I want to ask Y/N to the Valentine's Day Dance and I heard she likes homemade things and wondered if you would show me how to make a pretzel.." Bruce told her about his plan and Ella clapped her hands and jumped up in excitement.

"Of course! That is so fucking cute!! Aww, my heart is melting!" Ella squealed.

"Thing is, I'm meeting her at eight tonight, so I need to do this quick" Bruce said and Ella grabbed his hand and pulled him into her tent.

50 minutes later ~

There was a poof of smoke and Bruce coughed. He waved the air and smiled.

Carefully, he put his mitten-covered hands into the oven and grabbed the plate.

It looked perfect. Ella had done a wonderful job in teaching him and she squealed as Bruce blew on the pretzel to cool it down.

"It's amazing! You're a natural!" Ella applauded the boy and he grinned like an idiot. A cute idiot.

"She'll love it. Thank you Ella! I appreciate the help at such a short notice" Bruce thanked her and bagged the pretzel very precisely.

"I'm happy to help! Unfortunately I'd love to stay and cheer you on, but I've got a date with my girlfriend in twenty minutes so you'll have to update me tomorrow!" Ella smiled and started closing her stall.

"Oh of course! Thank you again Ella!" Bruce smiled again and with that, he ran back home, daydreaming of the coming hours.

- Time: 8:15pm

It was nearly time, Bruce was almost
shaking with nervousness. He had it all planned out, say hi, make conversation, give her the pretzel, show her how to play baseball, and then ask her to the dance! It was foolproof.

Bruce had also decided to write Y/N a letter expressing his feelings for the girl, Bruce poured his heart and soul into that letter, he hoped she'd love it.

Trying to calm his nerves, Bruce took out his bat and started practicing his swings.

He was so focused on his batting, that he didn't notice the figure approaching him from the distance.

Bruce was about to get ready to practise another swing, when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Turning around with a smile on his face, he was more than surprised to see the girl standing there.