𝟬𝟭𝟭. Alone Again

011 ────────────── NIAMOS

 Melshi and Eris stand at the shores edge. 

 Eris has her eyes screwed shut, inhaling the salty smell of the ocean as its breeze blows through her short hair. It was so peaceful here now, not a tourist or trooper in sight. It was so quiet. In her hand is the necklace Afarnia had given her as a child, its symbol embedded into the palm of her skin. Eris is content here. She can hear Melshi shift to face her, chasing her to open her eyes. "You look calm." Melshi states, hand behind his back, a small smile on his face. Eris nods. "I feel calm." Eris confirms, folding her arms around her.

Melshi nods, watching as Cassian walked up to join them, looking odd. Eris notices it immediately, brows furrowing in concern. She holds off on saying something. Melshi turns to Cassian. "You got through to Ferrix? It's okay?" Melshi questions.

Cassian nods. "It's okay."

Eris eyes him, trying to find something wrong. Cassian hides it so well.

Melshi takes a deep breath and looks to the ocean. "All this space. Fresh air. Like a dream, right?" He asks, and Eris nods.

"Paradise, almost." She replies.

"How many do you think made it? How many of us made it out alive?" Melshi questions, turning to Cassian.

Cassian shrugs. "Not enough."

"What if it's just us, if we're the only ones? Somebody's got to tell people what's happening back there. We need to split up. Double our chances. One of us has to make it. People have to know what's going on." Melshi says.

Cassian nods. "I know." He digs into his bag and hands Melshi a blaster. "Take this. People have to know about this." Melshi forms a small smile and grabs Cassian's hand, bringing him into a hug. Eris stands to the side and watches as Cassian's eyes get glassy. Melshi turns and doesn't look back, heading off down the boardwalk. Eris watches him until he gets smaller and smaller. Cassian has made his way to the water, sitting in the sand, staring off into the sunset. Eris holds her arms as the breeze chills her, walking across the sand to get to Cassian. She falls to sit next to him.

Eris looks to Cassian, brows knitted together. Cassian feels her stares and looks to her with teary eyes.

"Cassian? What's wrong?" Eris gasps as she pulls Cassian into her chest.

"She's gone." Cries Cassian, gripping the back of Eris' tunic. Eris cocks her head in confusion. "Cass, who's gone?"

"Maarva. She's—she's dead. She died. She's gone." He's hysterical, sobs racking his body. Eris' eyes widen, mouth agape a little. A lump begin to forms in her throat.

"She's...Maarva." Eris whispers to herself, holding Cassian tightly. The woman who'd taken them both in was gone. Dead.

"I shouldn't have left. I-I fucked up and now she's gone, Eris. It's all my fault." Cassian cries.

Eris feels her own hot tears streaming down her face and to her neck. "It's...it's not your fault, Cassian. It isn't." Eris consoles through cries, holding his head to her.

Cassian shakes his head, holding her tightly. "She's gone. Who else do I have but you? I don't want to get you killed. You can't be with me, Eris. I'm an issue." Cassian shakes as he says it.

Eris shakes her head. "I am not going anywhere. She was sick, Cassian. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It is not your fault." Eris repeats it like a mantra, to herself and to Cassian, who's shaking against her.

"It's not your fault."