Chapter 6: I Miss Us

Upon K.C. shutting the door, Cleo paused seeing as all eyes were now on her. She gave a nervous smile and sheepishly waved to everyone.

"Hi everyone." Cleo greeted.

"Mom, dad, random lady I just met, this is Cleo." K.C. introduced as Kira and Craig smiled at her whilst Fiona opted to remain quiet.

"Hi there, Cleo. I'm Craig, K.C.'s dad, and this is Kira, her mom. It's nice to see you. Consciously, of course." Craig specified as Cleo gave him a befuddled look while K.C. shook her head frustratingly behind her so she wouldn't notice.

Cleo looked back at K.C. who quickly adopted her smiling expression and shrugged to pretend that she was also none the wiser to what Craig was referring to.

"It's great to finally meet you sweetheart. K.C. told us so much about you." Kira said as she walked over to her and gave her a quick hug.

"Good things I hope." Cleo said and Kira chuckled.

"Oh, you have no idea." Kira said, "There isn't a single day where K.C. hasn't mentioned something good about you. Y'know there was this one time when she-"

"Okay!" K.C. quickly interrupted, "I think we should stop wasting Cleo's time and get to work on this project, yeah?"

"We don't have to rush. Your mom wasn't wasting my time." Cleo said to her.

"Yeah, well she's wasting mine," K.C. muttered.

"What was that?" Kira asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Huh, love you mom." K.C. quickly said aloud.

"Mhmm," Kira hummed, "That's what I thought."

Cleo giggled as K.C. smiled, but then Fiona blew her nose which brought the attention onto her.

"O-Oh sorry, didn't mean to interrupt." Fiona apologized as she sniffed.

Cleo tilted her head to the left curiously as she looked at Fiona while Craig cleared his throat with a nod.

"K.C.," Craig said and she looked at him, "How about you and Cleo work on your project upstairs while we discuss things with Fiona down here."

"What things?" K.C. asked.

"Work things." Kira said with pointed eyes and K.C. soon picked up what they were putting down.

"Ohh, yeah, of course." K.C. said with a nod as she looked at Cleo, "You don't mind right?"

"Dude, it's your house. Of course, I don't mind." Cleo said with a shrug, "And I think it'd be better if we did work on it without any distractions. Y'know, just the two of us."

"J-just the two us..." K.C stuttered as Cleo nodded, "You and me...", Cleo nodded again, "Alone...", Cleo nodded again, "T-Together..."

"That's what just the two of us means, yeah." Cleo said with a laugh.

K.C. internally let out a panicked scream as she nervously smiled, "S-Sure, I'm up for it."

"Cool," Cleo said as she held onto the straps of her backpack, "Lead the way."

"Ah, before you go, you two." Kira said, stopping them, "K.C. insisted on some snacks, so those sandwiches and that juice is for you. Careful with them on your way up."

"That's awesome. Nice one, K.C." Cleo said with a smile as she headed over to the dining room and picked up the plate of sandwiches.

K.C. mouthed a 'thank you' to her mother who just gave her a wink and a thumbs up. K.C. went to the kitchen and took the juice, both of them now making their way up the stairs. Ernie quickly scurried off to his room once he saw them approaching as Cleo followed K.C. up some more stairs towards the attic.