Chapter 08

"We must find time for such leisurely trips again—soon!" Ahan spoke lively, as he and Dev jogged up the stairs of the main entrance of the house

Dev agreed buoyantly, crossing the threshold and entering the opulent greeting hall as their jubilant voices resounded throughout the house, stirring awake the incompatible funereal mood having settled into each nook and cranny in the span of two decades-witnessing the bliss blossoming from a merry two to a complete four and then a blessed five, before withering to subdued and wistful three.

"Pita Ji, Maa, we have returned." Ahan announced, entering the grandiose family room glinting vibrantly from the warm sunrays granting brilliance to the adornments and furnishings.

Amid all the sparkle sat his mother dressed in a white drape-glittering in the colour which had with aging time seeped deeply into her skin, steadily paling her complexion to an inkling of lustreless fairness; yet to unknown eyes and hearts of distant affection she remained a beautiful lady of regal appearance fondly laden with jewels—which only intensified the grievous numbness she felt breath after breath.

Dev gazed at his aunt-Leela caressing a swaddle blanket with dutiful concentration, as she slowly turned to stare at the two of them standing in the doorway; "Aahnik?" Leela asked with a smile while her eyes glistened hopefully and with yearning for her second son to be returned to her. "Is it you?"

Ahan sighed. "Maa—"

"—It's Ahan, Leela." Aalekh interrupted as he stood from his armchair and strolled to his lost wife, resting both his hands on her shoulder and squeezing gently to anchor her back into the present.

And instantly—as quickly as an intake of a breath, Leela threw the blanket off her lap and snatched her hand away from it-pressing it close to her body, while her eyes cleared in a likeness of mist evaporating with the sun's shining kiss, as she smiled again at Ahan and Dev-with recognition in her clear eyes for both her son and nephew. "Ahan, my son; Dev; how was your visit to the town?"

Dev waited for two seconds for the silence to be answered by Ahan, but as two seconds ticked to another, he sneaked a glance at his young cousin displaying no inclination to respond whatsoever, causing Dev to reply to Leela instead of Ahan. "It was delightful, aunt Leela."

"We are pleased to hear that; it's been some time since we have visited the town during celebrations." Aalekh mused, courteously offering a hand to Leela as aid to stand; while Leela smiled and gratefully grasped it, as he continued, "I hope you wouldn't mind accompanying each other for a while longer; your aunt and I must leave at once to attend the assembly." and promptly led Leela out of the family room before any of the two could even wish them safe travel.

Ahan grimaced, "Let us freshen up in the meantime." tilting his head towards the door and proceeding to walk out with a pat on Dev's arm.

"What made your joy wane?" Dev asked Ahan trudging up the stairs, referring to his joyful disposition from their town's visit fading swiftly.

Ahan glanced at Dev-two steps behind him and sighed. "It shatters me when I see mother so lost and unable to acquaint with the present; if she's left on her own she only exists in her mind-ever stuck in a time bygone." His speech thawing his iced emotions quivered-causing him to stop momentarily in favour of an inhale before continuing. "When she is not feeling well, she does not recognise me; and when she is well, she treats me with little affection and apathy uncharacteristic of her—she's unrecognisable, as if she's a different person altogether."

"I am saddened to hear this." Dev replied quietly, at a loss for words. "Not as often-but we do exchange letters, Ahan, and yet you never mentioned your worries to me; we are a family."

"I sincerely appreciate it, but what difference would it have made; I might've been lighter after sharing my worries, but it wouldn't have bettered my mother."

Dev offered. "We could have arranged for a physician."

"I fear my mother's condition is beyond the capabilities of a physician."

"If you don't mind my asking, why is she in such a dreadful state?" Dev inquired.

"There was a loss which she could never come to accept." Ahan answered.

"When you said you could've saved her but you didn't; did you refer to aunt Leela?" Dev asked, furthering his inquiry by referring to Ahan's words which he spoke two days ago in Tara's chamber. "Did you mean you could've saved her from the loss but you didn't?"

"Not quite—no."

Dev furrowed his brow and questioned again. "Were you referring to your potential to save the loss itself which she faced?"

Ahan shook his head. "I did not refer to either my mother or the loss she faced—in that regard I'm as clueless as you; I referred to someone else."

"To whom did you refer?"

"I can't tell you but you can discover it, Dev; even though secrets should remain where they are—buried, there is an ordained time for everything to be unearthed." Ahan said, unlocking his chamber door, "I've a feeling everything will be unveiled sooner than we'd like, afterall, spectres cannot remain hidden for long." and with a parting nod, he slid into his room and closed the door softly behind him.

" and with a parting nod, he slid into his room and closed the door softly behind him

*Pita Ji, Maa — Father, Mother*

» 930 Words «