Chapter 07

"Why ever would you behave so terribly with him; do you realise what it reflects upon your bringing, Tara—what it reflects upon your father, and as your mother upon me?"

"You are not my mother!" Tara retorted vehemently.

Leela ignored Tara's retort. "If you keep misbehaving with everyone you will never find a match."

"I've told you explicitly that I do not want to be matched; what will it take for you to understand?"

Leela continued, keeping her calm. "It is not your choice; you will be matched for marriage soon enough, so it's better if you make your peace with it."

"I should envenom the tea of the next man who comes to see me—how about that, hm? Since you refuse to respect my wishes, I'll compel them to stay away." Tara bit out, thoroughly annoyed. "Afterall, the one who visited a week ago learnt his lesson well and did not visit again."

Leela exclaimed. "You didn't! He complained of suddenly feeling ill as he was leaving; what did you give him?"

Sensing the peak of another argument between Tara and Leela, Aalekh interfered as he placed his teacup back in the saucer. "Leela, she's just being playful, I am sure she didn't do anything or mean any harm to anyone; isn't that right, Tara?"

Tara replied to Aalekh, "Of course, I wouldn't ever." and feigned a smile at Leela.

"Now, I must attend to my dealings; be good, my sweet child." Aalekh said, striding out the family room and out through the main door.

"Clean up your act, Tara; before you come to regret it." Leela said quietly.

Tara chuckled. "The only thing I regret is you joining us, perhaps I should've given you one of my brews—that would have made you scurry away, Leela."

Writhing in anger, Leela leaned forward to hiss. "One more word out of your mouth or another act of meanness; and I'll ensure you receive no portion of the fortune."

"Oh my dear, no one can dispossess me of my fortune; I pity your delusion." Tara ridiculed.

"Are you absolutely certain of that, girl?" Leela smirked, picking Aahnik up from his cradle and embracing him to her bosom, while strolling out the room.

Tara felt her hands icing with fear of Leela making true on her threats; for in spite of being a firstborn, Tara was a female child of Aalekh, while Aahnik was the male child of her father and Leela, and as the claim of a son on father's wealth was stronger, Leela could indeed deprive Tara of her fortune through Aahnik.