Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Dessa's grip tightened on Elys's hand as the portal bent space around them. The echoes of Milena, Eamon, and Archer's laughter swirled around them as they continued debating the many ways of Elys's demise all the way through the portal. Their voices were lost to them then, though she could still feel their presence. Elys was the only one she was anchored to, though, and she met his mismatched blue eyes with a hesitant smile as the space changed.

The buried mating bond between them was hidden from others, but they could still feel it whole and bright and shining between them. Just as Cleo had, the moment Milena, Eamon, and Archer found them that morning and couldn't sense the bond was the first of what Dessa knew would be several explanations. It was all too easy to hide it from others beneath a layer of dark magic so only the two of them knew it was there. But even without the bond pulling them toward one another, there was no way Dessa and Elys couldn't not be close to one another.

Knowing the other side of the portal was near, Dessa pulled them through at the same time, landing with boots thudding against stone. She shielded her eyes with the other hand, the sun bright and glittering against the Ayverian palace right in front of them. The sudden appearance of her portal and then Dessa and Elys had startled two stable boys and the horses they were handling. But as soon as they realized it was Princess Dessa and the Seer of Ikreus, they turned on their heels and ran inside, yelling excitedly of their return.

Hands still clasped together, Elys leaned over and whispered in her ear. "Is it bad that I'm not ready to be home just yet?"

Dessa laughed and dug her nails in the back of his hand. "I think you are scared of what Daddy's going to do when he finds out."

"Of course, especially when I don't know when or how..."

"Dessa!"

Her name was followed by a high pitched squeal of excitement, which had them dropping their hands and taking a small step away from each other. But there was no need, not when the first person that rushed out the front doors of the palace was her baby sister, her hair pulled up in two buns on top of her head and her light blue dress stained near the bottom with grass and dirt.

"Dessa!" Len screamed again in excitement, all but stumbling down the steps in a bid to get to her faster. "You're home! You're home!"

Dessa almost stumbled herself when she rushed forward, grinning widely as she spread her arms wide just as Len jumped into them. "Hi, sweet girl!" she laughed, then kissed her face all over. "We're home. Finally, huh?"

"Finally! Momma's missed you just as much as me and Daddy did, too. He kept grumbling something to Momma but I couldn't hear him. I think he was missing Elys since he kept saying he wanted to talk to him. Oh! And I've been taking care of Eria for you. Momma and I took her flying with Aunt Thia. And guess what? Everyone is here now! Grandma Bridget and Grandpa Alberich, Uncle Gaven and Uncle Ruvyn, and Roux too! We've been having fun running around and Grandma Alexea's letting us help her with the gardens. And Aunt Allel and Uncle Mik are home, too! Aunt Kalla's here since they are and she wanted to be here when you, Elys, Milena, Eamon, and Archer got back and..."

Dessa couldn't help but laugh at her baby sister's continuous rambles, especially when she finally caught sight of Elys standing behind her. She winced at Len's excited squeal right by her ear as she reached for him. Elys, without missing a beat, hauled Len up into his arms and made her giggle even more as he poked and tickled her stomach, kissing the side of her head.

"Hey, kid," Elys smiled at Len. "Have you been good...or causing chaos like I know all the kids, including myself, know to do when someone's away?"

Len gave him an exasperated sigh...but the small smile on her lips told a different story. "I've been good. Mostly."