Chapter Twenty Two

Começar do início

I looked away, my mind troubled.

Even more so petrifying a thought was having to disobey him after such a speech, even when I knew I would not make it far without him noticing. He has been extra sensitive with my actions in these last few hours. I've no doubt it was the marking that made it so.

How was I to escape his eye? More so, his senses.

Not even lateo odos could hide my scent from him now. The bite of his marking would remain a personal tracker in his mind.

It would not be easy to sneak away.

My brows furrowed in concentration. My body tense.

Veldore reached out and claimed my hand in his, it seemed so fragile in his large hands. Warm, I calmed immediately and took a stand and we left the room, our destination, the ballroom.

I shuddered, time to meet the family.

@@@

The ballroom was a mesh of joy, not so cluttered and full as it were on the day of the eclipse, but frighteningly similar. It was a perpetual reminder of my stupidity. Why I had thought I could run away has escaped my mind at this time.

I was immediately surprised by the mesh of attention we received when we entered the hall.

All eyes were on us, observing us with something alike respect in their eyes.

It made me nervous, right away I wished to hide in Veldore's arms but I strengthened my resolve to stay strong as his mate should in such situation.

Veldore gave a curt smile as he tugged me close to his side, his warm hand embracing mine.

We moved forward, the crowd parting slowly as we made our way through. Servants with hors d'oeuvres and appetizers on silver trays came to be rushed off with the flick of Veldore's hand.

It was not long when we came to face them, we had not yet begun to search however it seemed they had come to us.

"Your majesty!" Nequi bowed as my father shoved her forward. "We request permission to talk to our sl-sl- him... Cinde... One on one, if we may your honor..."

Veldore gazed.

I was momentarily surprised by his silence. Was he going to refuse? They were my family, yes they had treated me nothing as such but he only knew the short end of it.

Why did I sense such deep resentment towards my family from Veldore.

I frowned, looking up at him.

I had not exactly been awaiting this moment with excitement, however I had been expecting it, preparing myself for it. I felt the need to know what they had to say.

Veldore's look was of black steel.

He was trying to hide his emotion yet I could feel it welling at the back of my mind. Strong irritation and indecision marching front line to all.

I tried to think back.

Had I told him about them? Was it really just the fact they called me a slave in front of him that bothers him so?

"Y-Your excellence, sir, we've been here all day for event of his marking and I think we deserve to talk to him at least once!" Nequi sounded bitter at Veldore's apparent disapproval.

I turned to look up at him.

I couldn't help feeling a little peeved they had been here this entire time. It reminded me what a fool I had made of myself on stage. How strongly I had allowed his marking to affect me.