PART TWENTY

Venelia hit the ground hard, along with the training knife she was using, making her hip sting. Metal clattered as she groaned. Gritting her teeth, she pushed herself half-up with her hands as she tried to catch her breath. "Get back up Nell," the Mandalorian ordered. "Always get back up."

"And if I can't?" Speaking hurt her chest and she sucked in a breath.

"Then you use the ground," he paced above her. "You roll out of the way of a hit. You steady yourself and kick hard. You leverage yourself against it and pull them down. You do everything you can to make yourself less vulnerable. But you try and get back up every time."

Venelia nodded in understanding. "Let's go again," she pulled herself to her feet, wincing again as her body ached everywhere. Her body wasn't used to the exertion of combat training and she felt like she'd been hit by a speeder ten times over. She and the Mandalorian were in a vacant space that the Mandalorians used to train and hone their combat skills. It had been hours; training since dawn. They'd stopped to have breaks, but Venelia was determined to learn and prepare all that she could before her duel tomorrow.

They'd gone over what she already knew, and what he'd taught her back on Olis before he'd started working her harder. Teaching her more complex combinations of hand-to-hand before they moved onto incorporating weapons. 

Venelia knew the task would be hard, but she underestimated just how much. According to Mandalorian custom, the only weapons allowed in a duel were traditional weapons – which meant no blasters. The information had resulted in a rise of nerves from Venelia – with blasters being one of the two weapons she knew how to use. The Mandalorian told her she could use her energy bow, but it might be more of a hindrance than an asset, much to her dismay.

"All your hands are occupied when using a bow, and you have to take time to reload and aim as well as have enough distance to shoot. I don't think it will be wise to use it in the duel," he had said. "But I'll teach you how to use a staff and a knife."

The staff was easier to manage. And the weapon didn't feel like a weapon, which she liked, although it could do some damage if she used it right. She could block and parry as well as sweep, and holding it felt similar to a bow in some ways. She felt more confident with it than she was practising with the knife now.

Though she was trying, she was struggling with the blade. The knife meant she had to be close to her opponent, and though it was easy to slash and stab, being able to do so effectively was a challenge – especially when the beskar came into play.

"Assume position," the Mandalorian commanded and Venelia distanced her feet, bent her knees and angled her knife with a backhanded grip so her forearm was across her chest. Her other arm was fisted. It was a blunt training knife, but it didn't matter to her – this was as real as anything. She took a deep breath and focused, ignoring how much her body protested another round of combat.

The Mandalorian mirrored her with his own knife, then came at her. She evaded the blade and turned them around, so they switched places. "Good," he said, and Venelia's stomach clenched at the praise. He then came at her again and she did her best to block his arm and slash his side before moving out of the way again. "Good," he repeated. "That was better."

"I have a good teacher," Venelia smirked.

And she was speaking the truth. The Mandalorian was a good teacher. He was patient, instructing her with care and without judgement. 

Venelia often felt inadequate for not knowing things – even when it wasn't her fault that she didn't know. But the Mandalorian wasn't phased by her lack of knowledge, nor did he make her feel bad for it. He didn't get annoyed when she asked him to walk her through the combination for the tenth time. He just showed her again, guiding her movements so they would be effective in the duel. He told her he wouldn't hurt her, but he still showed her all the techniques with a level of intensity that would've scared her had she not known him.