PART THREE

The Mandalorian sat in the cargo hold of his ship, the Razor Crest cleaning one of his blasters. He cleaned it methodically, ensuring that any scoring was removed from the ridges. Inside the ship was quiet, but he could hear the indistinct voices of his crew members outside in the landing bay of the Roost. He could hear Qin and Xi'an sparing, the occasional hiss and slick of Xi'an's knives travelling up into the silence.

"Hey, Mando!" His head snapped up at a voice, echoing in the landing bay. The Mandalorian set his cleaning rag down and returned the blaster to its place in the case in the weapons hold of his ship. He then made his way down the ramp. Ran Malk stood near a holoprojector, and he gestured for the Mandalorian to come over to him.

Ranzar Malk was not a tall man, but he was solid and could hold his own. His brown hair was chin-length and tucked behind his ears, greasy, with streaks of silver. The silver ran through his beard too, which hid the scars The Mandalorian know he had on his jaw from a bounty job gone wrong. They'd known each other for some time now, working together as partners on countless jobs, but there was a clear hierarchy between them.

Ran was the leader. He owned the Roost and gave the orders. The Mandalorian was his second.

"What is it, Ran?" The Mandalorian asked as he reached him.

"Take a look at this," Ran clicked on the holoprojector and out sprung a young man. Blonde, collarbone length hair, his cheeks and jawline chiselled in a way that looked unnatural. He was dressed in what looked like royal attire.

"This is a message for The Mandalorian that works with a Mr. Ranzar Malk," He spoke directly.

The Mandalorian looked at Ran who raised an eyebrow, "Guess I'm a Mister now."

The message continued as The Mandalorian returned his gaze to it, "I am Prince Altair, future ruler of Fidelis by marriage. My betrothed and heir to the throne of Fidelis, Venelia Orestilla, has committed an act of great treason against the planet and has fled. We have been unable to track her and require your skillset in order to find her and bring her back here to be tried for treason. You will be paid 50,000 credits for your work. If you accept this job, please contact me directly."

The hologram shut off and The Mandalorian looked at Ran again, who now had an amused expression on his face.

"What do you think?" Ran asked, his hands on his hips.

"Why do they only want me?" He questioned. He'd never been requested for a job without Ran before.

Ran shrugged, "Not sure, but it's good money, and a runaway princess doesn't seem like she should be difficult to catch. Especially not for you."

"What's all this about a runaway princess?" Qin sauntered over, his mouth baring his fangs slightly.

Ran nodded to The Mandalorian, "Mando's being hired out for a job catching a runaway princess who committed treason."

"What about the rest of us?" Qin asked with anger edged in his voice. Xi'an sidled up next to him, playing with the small knife in her hand, a grin on her face at the tension between her brother and him.

Ran just shrugged again, unfazed by Qin's irritation, "They didn't ask for us, just him. Don't get all sulky, Qin. It's not his fault."

"So, are you taking the job, Mando?" Qin crossed his arms. A challenge.

The Mandalorian looked at Ran, before turning back to Qin, "It's good money."

Ran nodded, "I'll send an encrypted message to the client. Better get ready, Mando."