Chapter 10: The Thoughts Of You

Start from the beginning

I mentally scoffed.

I scanned the foyer and took note of how his house looked the same as it did all those years ago when we were really close.

It was neat, quiet and grand.

Very grand.

Similar to mine actually.

Just neater.

Which is expected since his parents are big time celebrities because of their artworks.

He was about to go to the kitchen but I guess he remembered that he had an unwanted guest that needed to be hosted.

"My room is—"

"On the second floor, first door on the right."

He looked at me with a strange emotion behind his eyes. When I tried to decipher it he was quick to clear his throat, angling his body to face the direction of the kitchen again.

Did I get the directions right?

He didn't confirm if I was right or wrong so maybe I was right because of the look that he gave me.

"I'm going to go get a soda. You want anything?"

I was about to shake my head "no." But then I remembered that he couldn't see me so I said, "no thanks," in the kindest way that I possibly could and then jogged up the stairs.

Now that I'm thinking about it I realized that after the walk from my house to Dontae's, a bottle of water could have done me some well deserved justice. But it was too late to ask him for anything so I soaked up the feeling of almost terminal dehydration and scurried off to his room.

I was right.

His room was exactly where I said it was and it was the same as I remembered.

There were major differences of course. But things like the lime green paint on the wall, the large bed placed  against the wall in the middle of the room, the nicely tiled floor, his wooden dresser and the arrangement of the two sofas along with the little setup near his window were all the same as when we were younger.

The small differences were the two bedside tables, a mural of a girl dressed in a two piece bikini sitting—or rather, halfway sitting—on a bike, trying to look appealing I guess hung over his bed head and some posters of rockstars and were those paintings? Were all new additions to his once simpler looking room.

I walked over to the window and sat down. I started admiring the view outside the window but jumped a little when I heard the door burst wide open.

Damn does this boy have superman arms or something? It can't be that hard to be gentle when pulling or closing a freaking door! Gosh!

He ignored my presence and shut the door. Hard.

Again.

Because, why not?

Then he slammed the soda can on top of his bedside table went straight to the door that led to his closet. He went inside and once he was in, he shut the door as hard as he could.

I rolled my eyes.

Of course he couldn't hear my internal ramblings or cursings.

I sighed quietly.

I'm not gonna get mad, I'm just gonna talk to him about what has happened last night. See what he suggests I do next. Then I can go back home and do homework that's due next month.

I was kind of dreading this conversation. I feel like it has something to do with the fear of how Dontae will see me after this.

I began staring out the window. Remembering how embarrassing it was to feel like I wasn't good enough for Sean.