Chapter 37

The mountains slowly became shadows in the sky. The sun had come and gone. The night was silent. Even as the dawn broke, not a single sound could be heard. Past the forests surrounding Aldan, and across the Mink River, lay the capital Entheria. No one had said anything since we had left. I for one could only think about what needed to be done. We had to find KuRath, and kill him before I was controlled again and before Andrion killed the King. The question was if we could even achieve this? Would I be able to kill someone again? Could we reach the King in time? Would Andrion even listen to us? He hates the King so much as it is. Then again what if the King really is bad? What if he was just trying to use me like KuRath was? The only thing we did know was that KuRath dealt with Black Lotus. So what if he was the one controlling me? Maybe the King told him to. Perhaps I should have thought about this all more carefully. We were basing all our knowledge on a hunch. I looked over at the others. I had to protect them as well. In the end, I hope I wouldn't have to protect them from myself.

"Didn't Vyndor tell you to think positive?" Beatra spoke to me. The others glanced over. "I know what is going through your head, Emilea. Everyone does."

No one objected.

"We will figure it out together." Palleas jumped in.

"Yeah. You aren't alone anymore." Bargonaan smiled.

"So try not to worry." Kelrith winked.

I smiled slightly.

They were right. Worrying was not going to do any good. I have the help of four great soldiers, as well as the help of good friends.

"I do have to say something," Palleas said rather seriously. "I don't think you should use your sword, Emilea. If using it could kill you-"

"I will be fine." I waved off his worry.

"I'm serious, Emilea. You are a great fighter. So why risk it? Just use a regular sword. I got another sword here." He lifted a scabbard that hung from the other side of his horse's saddle. Had he planned for this?

"I will be fine, Palleas." I said again. He was acting like one of my brothers. I understood he was worried but in the end I was the one that chose my own fate, not him, not KuRath, nor anyone else. If using the sword meant ending this or saving someone, I wouldn't blink twice.

"Emilea. I think it is a good idea as well." Kelrith defended him.

"Did you not hear what the Druid said? Anyone who can control someone using dark magic is dangerously powerful. It requires the best Druids to break the spell. Even then it takes time." I looked at Palleas. "Regular swords aren't going to do anything against someone as powerful as that."

"You don't know that-"

"Neither do you." I interrupted Palleas. "I am ready to risk my life for the Kingdom. Are you?" I asked Palleas, whose eyes looked a bit watery.

"I agree with Emilea," Beatra spoke up. At least someone did. "We can't underestimate him. However," she looked at me, "it would also be wrong to underestimate us." I dare not argue with her. She was right.

"So. What is the plan?" She asked. Kelrith and Bargonaan looked to me.

"Find KuRath and stop him."

"You mean kill him." Beatra corrected me.

"Yes." I confirmed. Beatra was once again right. There was no way I could be a fighter and not kill. It was something I would have to do.

"Ok. How are we going to find him?" Palleas said while looking ahead. I think he was mad at me. He was concerned about my well being and as sweet as that was, we didn't have the luxury to think that way right now.