Chapter 19

"Are you crazy?" Carther pulled me aside after the last lesson of the day. Palleas and the others joined us. "You are a beautiful fighter, but it can't be denied that Trogan is on a much higher level than you."

No one spoke out against his argument.

"I will figure it out." I tried convincing myself yet again. The bell rang signaling our meals were ready. We all remained silent as we ate. The only thing that could be heard among us was the similar crunching and chewing of the rough collard greens. Looking around, Beatra was nowhere to be found, again. Even when I returned to the quarters after. I collapsed on my cot and let out my overwhelming stress in a heavy sigh. I should have kept to myself. It would have been better if I had ignored Beatra from the start. Then again it was too late for regrets. I had to focus on figuring out how I was going to beat a warrior.

~

"You know, you just make it worse for yourself." Dalani told me once, after I had gotten on Father's nerves.

"Easy for you to say. All you do is read."

She closed her book that was in front of her, revealing a silver etched cover titled with the words, Beyond Galasia.

"Is reading that bad?" Dalani asked. "I learn a lot and keep to myself. That way no one has a reason to be upset with me." I rolled my eyes. "Except you somehow." She shook her head.

"Come now, I know you have noticed father's indifference towards me." I sat down at her table. "Even if I did what you did, somehow it would stay the same." I grabbed the book in front of her and shuffled through the pages. She said nothing against my claims because she knew. Everyone knew that father treated me more harshly.

"Emilea, you are just different. You are different from Akyto, Yestin, and I."

"Oh yea. How exactly?" I couldn't help but laugh at the thought.

"Well," she paused, "I just mean you want to be different. You don't like obeying rules or following the norms. You want to be different and that in turn makes you difficult." She nodded as she finished her point. She was right. I didn't want to be the Lady of the house. I wanted to have more freedom than that.

I kept looking through the book I took from Dalani. Most of the pages were filled with maps of the seven cities. First part of the book contained further details of Ultr, Tith, Entheria, and Rystan. As the book came further to the end there was finally Alkamar, Kalzr, and Aldan. I paused after Aldan. There was one more afterwards but the pages were torn out. I pointed to them.

"Father tore them out."

"Why?" I asked.

"I guess he didn't want us learning about some hidden druid island off the west coast." Dalani smirked.

"Well, well, well." I raised an eyebrow.

She shrugged.

"He should have torn out the pages before I read the entire thing."

"Of course you read the whole thing." I pushed the book across the table back toward her.

She played with her hair and looked down.

"Emilea?"

I watched her.

"I'm sorry about father." Her voice was soft. "I wish things could be- different."

"Me too."

It was the first time my sister and I had really bonded. Sadly we never got any closer than that. She was quite shy and we both had different hobbies. Dinner time was the only time she would really speak up. Sometimes when father was talking about politics or the history of Galasia, out of nowhere Dalani would spew out some interesting facts relating to the topic. Of course, my brothers would be in awe and father would commend her on her dedicated studies. I, however, always saw it as annoying. It was like she was trying to show off. I see now I was just jealous of her. Perhaps if I had studied as much as she did, we would be closer.