Chapter 29

An arrow flew past our head.

I cursed and ducked.

"Feel free to lose them anytime," I tugged on Teren.

"Don't worry, we will soon."

"I know I haven't been around these woods very long, but aren't you going the wrong way?" I poked at Teren again.

I slightly recalled a ravine separating these parts of the woods with the side his camp was located on. I swear Illyana mentioned something about how it almost killed her.

"Do you mind? I'm the rider here. I've been in these woods a thousand times. I know what I'm doing."

"But what about the ravine?" He didn't respond. Perhaps there was a secret way across that only the leader of the assassins knew. The war chants echoed behind us. My stomach refused to untangle.

"Hold on to me," Teren yelled.

"Why?"

I looked ahead and saw Teren's plan. There was no bridge as Illyana had once explained. There was just the deep gully that separated us from the other side. Now only about twenty yards away.

"Are you crazy?" I screamed.

"I know what I am doing."

"Oh really?"

"I do it all the time!" I could hear him smiling. So help me I was going to kill him after this.

Ten yards away.

"Teren!"

"Hold on!"

One yard.

"Oh God." The horse left the ground as did my breath. Only empty air surrounded us. I clamped my eyes shut. My arms grasped Teren's waist so tightly I was worried he would split in half.

After what felt like a century, Sud's hooves connected with solid ground. My heart slammed back into my chest. I opened my eyes to find myself and Teren flying off and rolling across the ground.

I gasped for air, coughing up dust that flew into my lungs.

I looked to Teren who looked across the gully. KuRath and the soldiers had stopped. They glared at us for a second before taking off West.

"They are most likely going to go around. This will give us a good start on them." Teren stood and patted himself off. I, however, stayed where I was. My heart continued to pound in my chest and I suddenly found myself light headed.

"Hey, are you ok?" I looked up at Teren who offered a hand. I took a minute to regain my thoughts.

"I can't believe we are alive." Teren chuckled.

"What?" I asked him. "What is funny? What could possibly be funny right now?" I hoped he knew that I was upset because I was very upset.

"Well," he scratched his head, "I just realized this isn't usually where I cross the ravine."

"What?" I said out of breath.

"There is usually a part further west that has a smaller channel. So I have never made it over this part before. Glad this horse could jump." He laughed and gave the horse three pats on the rear. I just stared at Teren, eyebrows twitching.

I got up from the ground and patted myself off.

Teren mounted and offered me a hand up. I shook my head at him and mounted on my own.

"Come on Emilea," he nudged. "You have to admit, it was quite exhilarating." I crossed my arms and looked away. He was right, it was a tad bit exhilarating, but at the same time we almost fell to our deaths.