Chapter 14

Had Illyana said, "slave traders"? According to my brother, Akyto, King Lavro shut them down the moment he became crowned. From the rumors told, these traders had no mercy. They put their slaves through harsh training then threw them in an arena, fighting, one on one, against other champion slaves. Those who remained strong and survived were sold and those who remained weak fought until death.

"Here is your horse." Illyana pointed to Polly who consisted of a new looking saddle. I quickly mounted her and made sure to hook Debynn's sword to my belt.

"Let's move!" Illyana shouted out to the group which only consisted of me, Bazel, Reubyn, and two others I had not been introduced to.

With a quick flick of the reins, we all set out at a gallop.

The thunder seemed even louder as we went through the forest and the rain felt like tiny needles pricking my skin. As the rain became heavier the visibility ahead of me slowly began to decrease. The group seemed to slow from this. However, through the blur, I could see Illyana's hand halt us. We all stopped abruptly. She turned back to me and motioned me towards her. I pushed Polly further until we were right next to Illyana.

"Since you need some experience, why don't you be our lookout? Go out several yards and then signal us when you see them approaching."

Though I was sure she was picking on me, I did as she instructed and departed the group. The rain continued to pour. I did my best to squint through it; however, nothing seemed to appear. Time passed. My eyes drifted back towards the group. They all watched me.

A black blur flicked across the left corner of my vision. Then a sharp pain poked my neck. I threw a hand up to the pain. My fingers wrapped around a small stick-like item that was buried in my skin. I pulled it out. A dart lay there in my hand. Almost immediately a rush of dizziness swirled around my head. Polly jumped on her hind legs. Her reins slipped from my hands, and I felt myself lose balance. Within a second I found my body colliding with the muddy ground. A loud pop echoed through my ears. I clenched my teeth together as sharp pain sprang from my shoulder. War cries bounced around the forest. Were we surrounded? I squinted through a blurry vision to see my companions, one by one, falling to the ground until there was nothing left but a blank nothing surrounding me.