Chapter 2: alive and feeling

Alexandra wakes up, and this time she is not hit by the crushing awareness of her apathy, and nor is she hit by a bus.

She scrambles out of the suffocating amount of rags that cocoon her — gasping and scratching till her back hits cold dirt; her front facing the skies.

She lies there, gazing, letting herself feel.

Stars. It's breathtaking, to see the galaxies and cosmic starlight sky pollution hides under its veil. Oh, how New York could never show her the stars.

There is wind. A sharp, steady breeze that grounds her erratic thoughts. She feels... she feels different, small, as if all her bones have shrunk. The wind punctuates the wrongness of her tiny body with every shiver it wrings from her.

Alexandra then notices the rocks dig into her back like a thousand little pinpricks; they hurt; and she's willing to bet the coarse fabric on her is torn at the back. The ground they house in is cold, a certain sluggishness stalling to her normally erratic thoughts.

There is rustling, little noises and soft snores, insects chirping, and some distant laughter in the distance. Alexandra can't hear them; theres a ringing in her ears that won't stop.

She comes to a realization, long after hours had passed and people who she doesn't know had come with worried whispers of her name in an English she can barely register.

She's alive.

It hits her once more. A soft breath hitches in her tiny rib cage.

She's alive.

('But where is she?')