The bathroom door slowly opens and she steps out, clad in her sushi patterned pyjamas. She locks eyes with me and I feel myself blush. 

"Night guys!" Dean yawns a little too loudly, getting under his duvet and turning on his side, facing away from us. I swallow hard and dare to look at her. She gives me a small smile - which does things to me I'm not willing to admit. She looks purposefully at Dean with a raised eyebrow and then says: "So... you first, my love," her tone is playful and I grin. 

"Of course, darling." I get into bed and so does she. I notice that she doesn't cling to the edge of the bed for dear life; she doesn't seem to mind being close to me. It makes me feel a little less self-conscious.

"Good night, my dearest cupcake," she smirks.

"Sweet dreams, my little pumpkin pie," That earns me an (adorable) laugh before she flips off her bedside lamp and we're plunged into complete darkness. I try to distract my racing mind by counting sheep, but it's hours before I get any sleep. 

Reader's POV

I wake up to the sound of quiet, steady breathing and the weight of an arm draped across my stomach. I sigh softly before I remember whose arm it is. My heart starts hammering because this is the worst thing to ever happen to anyone ever (no, I'm not dramatic, what do you mean?).

Shit. I turn my head awkwardly and look at Sam - his messy hair, long eyelashes, closed eyes. I smile and turn back around. If I move, I'm sure to disturb him because he's so close, but I need to remove myself before he wakes up. 

I hold my breath as I try to slip out of bed, but sleepy Sam pulls my back against his chest. 

"Noo," he whispers, still half-asleep. My exhale is rushed and flustered because he doesn't realise what he's saying. I still and relax into his touch, just enjoying the moment. What other choice do I have? I'm trapped. 

I hear the rustle of fabric and snap my eyes shut, faking sleep. Silence. I peek open one eye and see Dean crouching in front of me with a devilish smirk plastered onto his face. I open both eyes and glare.

"Having fun?"

"I'm stuck."

Dean bites his knuckle to supress a laugh and I am just able to free an arm to whack him around the head. "Help me."

"I think I'll get us some coffee. Have fun." he winks and I swear at him, to which he only smirks at. 

Maybe I should just pretend to be asleep. Make it less awkward...

Sam's POV

Damn, that was the best sleep I've had in ages. I open my eyes to a sea of glossy hair that smells of coconut and vanilla. 

Oh, shit.

I roll back, snatching my hand away from the warmth of her stomach. I whisper her name.

"Yeah?" she replies in a whisper.

"I'm sorry."

She turns her whole body to face me. "For what?"

"For getting so close - I didn't realise."

She smiles softly, "Don't worry about it." 

"I don't know why Dean dared us to... I'm sorry. I'll call it off. He'll call me chicken for weeks, probably shove feathers into my stuff like he did when we were kids but it's fine-"

"Sam," she interrupts, "Chill out."

I sigh. 

"That was the most sleep I've had in months. I ain't complaining." She uses my arm to prop herself up in bed, her small hand warm and somewhat comforting. I copy her, sitting up too.

"But, urm, maybe we should tell Dean we forfeit," she suggests, not looking at me, "I mean - I don't know what else he'll try and get us to do. You know what he's like."

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed but I swallow and reason with myself - she's right. "Of course." The last thing I want is to make her uncomfortable. 

She continues, gazing at her lap, "It - it's not that I don't like you or anything, I think you're the coolest. It's just, Dean, you know, he's like, you know. You know?"

"Urm, I'm not sure I know, actually." I smile as she looks embarrassed but I really don't know what she's getting at.

She licks her lips, breathes deep, then finally looks at me. "Sam, I-"

"Ok, so they didn't have anything fancy so I just got two coffees and a tea." Dean barges through the door with his hands full and I've never wanted to strangle him more. He looks up, unapologetic, and says, "Oh, sorry, were you having a moment?"

She throws a pillow at him and I grin.

"Oi! Hot beverages!" he protests, setting them down before they spill. 

Were we having a moment? I'm not sure. 

We slip out of bed and head for our drinks. We both reach for the same cup and when our hands brush, something jolts in my chest. She blushes, and by the smirk Dean's giving me, I do too. 

God, I need to tell her how I feel.