five

"We already tested your Avatar," Max said, looking down at an iPad he held. "We couldn't find anything in your genes, except your Parkinsonism. We don't know why the eyes are grey or why you look like and sound like a Na'vi."

"Go ahead and stand up," The scientist who held up his fingers said, and she complied, seeing if her legs could hold her weight. "We're going to unclasp you and then give you some clothes to change into." Rachel nodded, and two scientists began to take the tubes and things out of her arms. Once they were all out, one of the scientists handed her some clothes and pointed her toward a bathroom where Avatars could change.

Rachel headed for it, ducking her head and making sure not to hit it on the ceiling. She stripped down and changed in record timing, then folded her clothes neatly and left them in the dirty clothes bin. 

She wore a blue shirt that was on one shoulder and went under the armpit of another and plain back comfortable shorts, but with no shoes. That was fine with her. 

When she walked back in, Norm was just going through some tests and Jake was just waking up. She waved to both of them and stepped outside, hardly realizing that this was real. Inhaling the amazing fresh air, Rachel walked towards the large housing building where she knew Grace would be. 

The walls were a light brown and the roof a much dark shade. The door was made of steel and she knew this was to protect the Avatars, not the humans. 

Hearing running footsteps behind her, she turned around and saw Jake sprinting full title towards her. Just as he was about to pass her, she flung out her and he skidded to a stop, not wanting to topple to the ground.

"You're not supposed to be running this soon, Jake." Rachel said, quirking a brow at him. "Next time, don't head for the housing structure. Head for the forest." He gave her a curious look to which she shook her head at. 

"Your voice and eyes-"

"Hey, Marine!" Grace called.

Jake turned, staring at Grace. "Grace?" Rachel rolled her eyes and sighed. It even looked like Grace. It wasn't that hard to figure out.

"Well who'd you expect, numbnuts?" Grace replied. "Think fast!" Grace tossed Spartan Fruits at both of them, and Rachel caught it in the air, biting into it immediately. It was juicy, sweet, and tangy. Perfect. She almost moaned from how good it was.

"Motor control is looking good," Grace smiled, and Jake bit into the fruit. His eyes went wide and Rachel laughed, something she hadn't done in a long time.

"Hey, check it out!" Norm said, and Rachel turned to see him posing like a bodybuilder. Laughing and shaking her head, she and Grace headed for the housing structure while Jake and Norm went to play basketball.

***

Rachel laid on her bed in the housing structure, staring at the ceiling. Her eyes were staring to close from exhaustion. 

"That's kinda freaky," Someone said from a distance, but she wasn't quite sure who it was. It didn't matter anyways. Her eyes were closing.

***

A second later, I opened my eyes again and I was in the link. I missed my Avatar already, being able to move quickly and without any stops. She sighed, waiting for someone to come open the link.

The scientist Grace had yelled at tentatively opened it, then sighed in relief when she just saw Rachel. She helped her get out and handed her the cane, and walked her to the door.

That was awesome.