~ Chapter 5

At exactly 6 o clock, my mother and I set the table. I decided to go and take a quick shower. Who knows, maybe this family would mistakenly have a fine male child of my age. I don’t want to appear rough or homeless. 

5 minutes of being in the bathroom and about 100 sprays of perfume later, I was dressed in a simple pink top and black shorts. In my books, I looked enticing enough for the evening. 

Multiple voices from downstairs alerted me that our visitors were here already. With a smile plastered on my face, I made my way downstairs.

Midway down the stairs, I saw the back view of a young man. His figure was slouched so I could barely make out his height. He wore a blue top and brown chinos. He moved towards the table before I got downstairs.

“Good evening sir. Good evening ma.” I greeted. All heads turned in my direction. Apparently, the young man and I had an encounter previously. Remember the guy I splashed water on? That’s him. And with the way he was currently staring at me, he can also remember.

“My dear, good evening. How are you?” The man asked. 

“I’m fine sir.” I replied.

I just want to go upstairs.

Mother broke the silence. “Can Steve pray for us before we eat?”  

So, the young man is Steve. And his voice is nice. Sounds better when he isn’t angry.

“While you were upstairs Ann, I spoke with this young man here.” Mother started as she served the food. “His name is Steve. He’s a business consultant and he has agreed to help you with... You know what I mean.”

Great. Define awkward again, please?

“Okay.”

Steve was quiet the whole time. Although, I noticed that he smiled subsequently. I’m sure he’s thinking about how to get back at me. What have I done to myself? 

I managed to eat and clear the dishes. He volunteered to help me, after I vehemently opposed. His mother encouraged him to help. It’s giving matchmaking vibes.

This day has to be the best day of my life. I’m kidding.

“I didn’t actually get your name.” Steve said leaning on the counter. I’m not sure he’s going to help out. I couldn’t help but notice his nice haircut. He looked really different that day. Shabby described him better the other day.

“I just want to clean up and sleep please. We can stop pretending tomorrow or whenever you want us to meet and discuss about my business plan.”

“Okay.” He laughed and continued on his phone. Not like I wanted him to help anyways.

“This might actually sound really crazy. I’m not actually mad at you. I see no reason to be mad at you.” He started.

I’m surprised he isn’t angry. 

“Really?” I turned to face him.

“Yeah. I need you to go somewhere with me. Just to stand in for my fiancée. You don’t have to do it, really. I just need you to help.” He finished

“Is that why you said you weren’t angry?” I asked.

“No. It’s this foundation my fiancée and I started while we were in university. We usually go around distributing foodstuffs in the light of Christ. You know, our little way of showing that we care about other people. Let’s call it an outreach. I need you to help me out because my fiancée won’t make it that day. She would be flying the day after. Flyers have been distributed and it won’t be easy to change the dates.”

“Okay.” This man is taken. Maybe the Outreach would help me find a man or a purpose in life.