~ Chapter 3

My father slowly wrapped his huge arms around me, reminding me of all the times we’d just lay there, just talking

My father slowly wrapped his huge arms around me, reminding me of all the times we’d just lay there, just talking. I hugged him back as a ghost of a tear ran down my eye. 

“How’ve you been?” He looked down at me with teary eyes like I’d been gone for ages. 

“I’m fine daddy, but now that you’re both here, I have something to say that I don’t think I’ll get the courage to say again.” I freed myself from his hug and made my way to the sofa .

“We’re listening.”

I stared at their faces as I ended my story. The look of shocked disappointment on both their faces hurt me. 

“On the bright side though, I got a loan with hopes of starting fresh. That’s why I’m here.” I finished with emphasis on ‘That’.

After a long period of silence, mom spoke first. 

“How could you, Ann? After all we did to help you start that business! You come and tell us this?” I kept silent to avoid snapping at my mother. She began to shake her head slowly, as she always did whenever I’d gotten in trouble, that was what decided my fate. 

“Calm down, Lilian. She got another loan. She’s clearly trying to fix things.” My dad finally spoke up, sending soft strokes down my mum’s back as he spoke. “I.B! I.B!!” As soon as he called, Mr I.B showed up. 

“Take her things upstairs.”

That statement alone gave me hope.