He was angry at Queen Elora for the most part they had known each other. Even if he was feeling it, he would not recognise it at this point. It was now a part of him.

"She did not know I was the father and as soon as she found out I was the father, she did not hide it from me."

Queen Elora squeezed his hands in quiet thanks for taking his side.

What else could he say? Fanning Elora's anger against her mother would not make matters better. He did not agree with the ways of Queen Elora. However, he was still a Furian and he would hate to see the throne empty if Queen Elora was to die. It would start war and unrest, and Nevoria would take it as an opportunity to utilize the mess for their own good.

"Grand Consort Shu arrives!"

Oren moved his attention from his daughter to see behind her, a wealthy-dressed woman with vulcanite black-tied hair that complemented her lilac lips and rounded eyes. She possessed an alluring shapely figure hugged by her pastel purple hanfu.

Oren was about to look away when he caught himself possessed by a wisp of familiarity. His insides tensed as recognition possessed him. He would never forget her appearance even if he tried. In the past, she had covered her face at times to prevent infection of his illness, yet there came a time he recovered, and she did spend time with her face bared to him.

"Greetings!" The court lady spoke on behalf of her mistress. "Per the tradition of Nevoria, a ceremony of surrender must be carried out should a court woman depart from the palace. Grand Consort Shu is the acting leader of the Inner Court, therefore the emperor has commissioned her to carry out the surrender of Wei LI Lian."

Elora's head jerked to look at Grand Consort Shu. "Surrender?"

"Furia came to an agreement concerning Her Royal Highness Yang Liu and you," Grand Consort Shu's honeyed voice confirmed Oren's suspicions.

It was her.

He immediately removed Queen Elora's hands from his and shifted a little from her. Never would he like the woman he admired to see him in a position that suggested romance with his previous lover.

"An agreement about me where I was not consulted?" Elora protested.

"What position do you hold that you would have the right to sit on the table and decide the direction of nations?" Queen Elora firmly reproved Elora.

Oren nudged Queen Elora to silence her. She was not even in Elora's good books, yet she spoke carelessly as if she was speaking to a servant.

"Ridiculous! Do you think you can discard and claim possession of me as you see fit?" Elora did not hold back.

Oren was quick to intercept the situation before it could come to a boiling point. "That is why we are seated and speaking with you, so we can understand your situation and discuss the way forward that would be beneficial for you, likewise the nation."

"The only decision that will be beneficial for me is I staying here."

"A princess does not take into account her feelings only, but foremost the wellbeing of the nation. Duty is important over minimal wants," Queen Elora admonished.

"Tell that to the one who is the princess."

"Hold your tone!" Queen Elora's eyes enlarged with fury.

"No, Queen Elora should let me be! No intentions do I hold towards being a princess or living in Furia. A life do I possess in Nevoria and I do not wish to abandon it!" She loudly spoke with her jaw clenched.

Oren was pleased to see Grand Consort Shu pat Elora's shoulder in consolation, and appreciating the gesture, absent-mindedly, Elora covered the hand with hers.

"Why are you comforting her for?" Queen Elora snapped at Grand Consort Shu. "It's because of the likes of you that she is a stubborn mule that does not know to submit to duty."

Grand Consort Shu snatched her hand back from Elora.

"What nice thanks to someone who at least tried to raise your cub when you refused to," Oren instantly defended Grand Consort Shu.

Elora marvelled at the sight of her father speaking against her mother because her eyes brightened in delight.

"Let matters behind closed doors not affect counsel of national affairs," Queen Elora retorted and grabbed his hand back into hers, as if she wanted to prove something.

Chills crawled up Oren's body. Did Queen Elora know of him and Grand Consort Shu?

Queen Elora glared at Grand Consort Shu to get a reaction but she was a blank canvas. It was good that she was not letting on anything but bad because it confirmed her lack of feelings towards him since she was not jealous at all.

Queen Elora turned back to her daughter. She was a vicious dog and she would not let loose as easily, so she said, "There is no life for you in Nevoria. You are charged with the murder of a palace woman. Do you think that will just go away?"

"I will serve my sentence if need be."

Queen Elora's wings flared robustly. She was reaching the tipping point of her patience with Elora. She was a queen who was accustomed to giving orders and hearing ears would obey. Even Eleanor was docile when it came to her mother since she feared her.

"May this lady excuse herself to allow time for discussion among you?" Grand Consort Shu bowed.

"No need to excuse yourself, proceed with the ceremony."

Oren didn't like the tone Queen Elora used against Grand Consort Shu. It was demeaning and degrading, to say the least.

"We have been apart for a long time, and now will be the time we will reconcile as a family," she continued.

There was a pause that continued to crackle among them, as Queen Elora unabashedly stared down Grand Consort Shu in animus.

Oren tried to take his hands from her, but she did not relent. She solidly held on to him.

"Bring forth the decree," Grand Consort Shu announced to the ministers by the stairs.

"None of you shall go up the stairs." Elora objectively stood in protest. "I am the wife of Emperor Huizhong. No intentions do I have to part with my husband!"

"What you have is forbidden marriage that should never have existed." It was a wonder how Queen Elora could say words with a controlled voice, yet they were biting and stern.

"Where is Yuwen Hong?" Elora ignored her as she turned to Grand Consort Shu for an answer.

Grand Consort Shu's eyes guiltily looked at everything but Elora.

This did not go unnoticed by Elora because suddenly a devastating loud blast broke from the sky. The wind started to whirl and the sky darkened. Elora was shaking as tears simmered in her eyes.

Queen Elora went on her feet, circled the table and pulled Elora to turn and face her. "Breathe in and calm your emotions."

However, Elora shook her head and wailed in abandonment. Alongside her deepening sorrow, the sky growled intensely, and lightning shattered the sky.

Oren was in awe. Never had he seen such intense strength from a Furian. Surely, she was the respectable queen destined to reign over Furia.

S.V