33 | Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

Start from the beginning

"Really, Remus?" Sirius said. "A heart attack?"

"This is only the beginning. I sense she's going to be quiet the handful now she's a teenager," Remus sighed. He grabbed a nearby pack of cigarettes, lighting it with the snap of his fingers. "I can be thankful you're here now, it's going to take more than just me to control her,"

Sirius took a deep breath, as if inhaling the smoke of a cigarette he didn't have. He hadn't expected the conversation to take a sudden, sensitive turn. "Remus," he said, quietly. "I'm not going to hinder the good you've already got. I'm already intruding just being here now,"

Remus too hadn't expected their light conversation to suddenly turn so cold. "This is your home, Sirius," he responded quickly. There was a moments pause. "That's our daughter,"

Sirius looked up and Remus was unable to read his expression. He looked unsure - unconvinced. Remus continued. "I would do anything to relive the last thirteen years with you here too," he began. "I can't even begin to explain how happy I am that you're here now. You're not going to hinder anything,"

Sirius' eyes trailed from Remus' and off somewhere into the distance. Remus persevered, eager to get into his head. "What? What is it?" he asked. "What's on your mind?"

"I told myself if i were to ever have a child, I'd be nothing like my parents. But... but i abandoned her. I was never there," Sirius said. "I'm just as bad as them,"

Remus shook his head, reaching out a hand to hold the side of Sirius' own. "Listen," he said sternfully. "They had a choice, you didn't. You're here now and that's all that matters. You've already done greater than them,"

Before Sirius could respond, the front door opened and Liv pranced in, unknowing interrupting an important conversation. She sat down at the kitchen table opposite Remus, trying to plan how she was going to convince him to let her go out tonight.

"I know that face?" Remus said, interrupting her thoughts. "What is it you want?"

"Can't i sit with you without wanting something, Dad?" Liv huffed, crossing her arms in annoyance.

"Alright," Remus said, grabbing The Daily Prophet the owl had dropped off earlier that morning. He began to study the crossword. "But whatever it is, the answer is no,"

"At least let me ask you!" Liv responded. "It's just a sleepover,"

"With who?" Remus asked.

"A friend,"

"With who?" Remus repeated.

Liv groaned. "It's one of Padma's neighbour's," Liv lied. "Please Daddy! its her birthday!"

Remus sighed, looking at Sirius "I'm sure Sirius could do with a peaceful evening without you," he said. "But no boys!"

"Whatever,"

"I mean it!"

"Ok, ok!" Liv called, as she scurried from the kitchen and back towards the front door she'd just come in from. "I'm gonna go tell Padma I can go!"

_____

"Is is obvious?" Liv asked Padma who was sprawled out on her bedroom floor in an attempt to lay her hair flat with an straightening iron. Liv had pulled on a pair of jeans over the mini skirt she was wearing in an attempt to conceal it from her father when she went downstairs. Padma was giggling at the sight.

"Obvious?" she repeated. "It looks like you're wearing a diaper!"

Liv continued to examine herself in the mirror. "Shit," she sighed. "You're right," She then bounded back over to her wardrobe and began rummaging through it for the third time that evening, before slumping down on her bed in defeat. "Nothing! I have nothing!" Liv angrily reached for the banana laying on her bedside table and began to peel it with even more anger.