60. The Unexpected Task

It was Wednesday morning at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. Harry and Ron were sat eating breakfast as usual when Hermione walked in and headed towards them.

"Have either of you two seen Y/n?" She asked the pair.

"Er...No." Harry said.

"We thought he was in the library with you." Ron said stuffing his mouth with some bacon.

"No, He's been disappearing for hours since the day we met the house elves." Hermione told them.

"He wasn't in the dormitory this morning. Harry said to her.

"Only time we've seen him is in lessons." Ron added with his mouth full. "Get's up earlier than me and Harry, so he's already eaten and gone by the time we come down to breakfast."

Over the last few days Y/n had been frequently returning to the seventh floor corridor. He was currently back in the room he had discovered. Y/n knew he was supposed to be in Arithmancy right now with Professor Vector but instead he chose to skip it in favor of working on what he was desperate to solve most. Sat upon a table in the room was the Golden egg Y/n had claimed in the first task. He paced around it as he looked at. Y/n had noticed markings upon the egg and spent two days researching them in the hopes they would lead to a breakthrough. But the markings proved to hold no clue other than being mere decoration.

'I need some water.' Y/n thought to himself as he picked up the egg and put it back into his bag now.

As Y/n left the room to head to his next lesson of the day he was surprised to see a familiar figure standing out the door waiting for him.

"Professor..."

"I see that like a few before you, have discovered the Room of Requirement." Professor Dumbledore said calmly to Y/n.

"The Room of Requirement? Y/n asked repeating its name as he turned his head to look at the doors that now began to disappear back into the walls.

"It is said that the Room of Requirement only appears when someone is in very great need of it, and changes its very self to contain what that individual needs at that time." Dumbledore explained to him.

"Is it forbidden to use Professor?" Y/n asked now.

Dumbledore looked at him now. "No Y/n, it is not. If the Room of Requirement has shown itself to you then your need must be great. I must however implore upon you though not to skip lessons."

"Sorry Professor..." Y/n said apologetically. "It is just the clue from the egg, I need to solve it as soon as possible."

Dumbledore smiled. "Given that you are a Tri-wizard champion, I cannot offer you any help." Dumbledore told him and Y/n sighed knowing this would be the case. "However..." Dumbledore began again. "I shall leave you with a piece of advice."

Y/n looked at him with full attention now.

"Do not focus too hard on one goal Mr Grindelwald. For you may miss out on a great deal of other things that are important to you." Dumbledore said confusing Y/n. "Now, it's time for your next lesson I believe, off you go."

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?" Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Transfiguration class, and Harry and Ron both jumped and looked up.

It was the end of the lesson and they had finished their work. The guinea fowl they had been changing into guinea pigs had been shut away in a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk though Neville's still had feathers. They had copied down their homework from the blackboard 'Describe, with examples, the ways in which Transforming Spells must be adapted when performing Cross-Species Switches.'