53. Mad Eye Moody

Thank you everyone for getting this story to 200k reads! 

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy, heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Harry, Ron, Y/n and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad...outside all morning." said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures...damn it, we're still with the Slytherins..."

"Double Divination this afternoon." Harry groaned.

"You should have given it up like me and Y/n, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"You're eating again, I notice." said Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

"Y/n convinced me that there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights." said Hermione haughtily.

"Yeah...and you were hungry." said Ron, grinning.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail. Instinctively, Harry looked up, but there was no sign of white among the mass of brown and gray. The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel into his lap. Neville almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home. A larger bird flew into the room now gathering the attention of most students. Y/n and Harry recognized the bird immediately.

"Fawkes?" Harry said as he watched it soar high and then dive low before coming to a rest on Y/n's shoulder.

Y/n looked up to see Fawkes was carrying a letter in his beak. Fawkes quickly dropped the letter and then flew off as the other students watched him go.

"It must be from Dumbledore." Harry said indicating to the letter, and he was right. As Y/n turned it over he could see Dumbledore's handwriting upon it.

He wasted no time in opening the letter now and reading it.

'To Y/n Grindenwald,

I have sent Fawkes with this letter for Professor McGonagall is busy with the first years this morning and the information in this letter I understand you wish to keep secret. I have been informed of your recent accomplishment. This is of course a serious matter and I should like you to skip your Arithmancy lessons today, instead coming to my office to discuss the matter further. Do not worry Professor Vector has been warned of your absence.

Albus Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

P.s, I'm currently fond of Pumpkin Pasties.'

Y/n lowered the letter now.

"What does Dumbledore want?" Ron asked curiously.

"Is it about...what happened in the carriage?" Hermione asked looking around them.

"You make it sound as if I did something scandalous..." Y/n said. "But yes it is, He has asked me to miss Arithmancy this afternoon and go to this office instead." Y/n folded up the letter now.

"That's still better than Divination." Ron muttered and Harry couldn't help nodding in agreement.