-

THREE WEEKS LATER

"Mom?" I call out as I make my way downstairs.

"In the kitchen, sweetie," she calls back. My nose fills with the smell of her spiced marinara sauce and now I don't want to leave.

I turn the corner into the kitchen and sure enough Mom is at the stove, the baby blue apron Dad got her for Christmas is tied around her waist.

"Mhm, smells good," I say looking over her shoulder at the big pot of sauce.

"I'm trying something new," she dips the big wooden spoon in, and holds it up to my face, "Taste."

I do as told, humming in delight, "It's perfect."

"Not too salty?" She asks.

"Nope, it's a little spicier then normal but in a good way," I reassure her.

"Where are you off to?" She looks down at the small duffle bag I left at the door way.

"I'm going into the city," I remind her, "Its Mal's birthday."

"Oh yes! Sorry I forgot," she puts the lid back on the large silver pot, she turns back to me, "Be safe, keep an eye on your stuff on the train."

"And make sure my bag is always zipped and in front of me, and I'll text you when I get to Mal's," I finish for her. I've been traveling into the city since I was ten years old and she still gives me the same protective mom speech every time.

"I'll be okay," I smile at her, "Promise."

"I know, I know but it's my job to worry about you," she smiles.

"Love you," I kiss her cheek before turning to leave.

"Love you!" She calls after me.

I drive my car to the train station, quickly parking before catching the three trains into the city. Then it's a five minute walk to Mallory's apartment from the subway station.

Mallory's apartment door swings open, less then a minute after I knock.

"Kenny!" She squeals immediately pulling me into a hug.

"Hi!" I say into her dark brown hair.

When she finally releases me she pulls me into her apartment, obviously excited about something as she shuts the door, leaning against it.

"I got the internship!"

My jaw drops to the floor, "The Cult Gaia one or the Hanes one?"

Doesn't matter, either one is great for her career.

"The Cult Gaia one, I'm gonna spend the summer in Los Angeles!" She's vibrating with excitement.

"Oh my god, Mal!" I hug her again and we bounce around in excitement.

We stop and I pull away to look at her, "I'm so proud of you! When did you find out?"

"Thank you!" She smiles, "I had my second interview with them last week but they just called an hour ago to offer me the position."

"Wait," what she said just hit me. She's going to be in LA all summer instead of back in Bedford. "You're going to be in LA?"

She nods.

I groan, "Sorry, that's sounded bad! I'm just," I pause, "Actually never mind, let's get ready to go celebrate!"

"I know," she reads my face like a book, "I won't be back home, I'm sorry," she reaches out for my shoulder, "But I'll be here until May and I'll only be gone two months!"

"Maybe I can come visit!" I smile as we start towards her room where we spend the next two hours getting ready before going to party the night away.

All of Mallory's college friends are sweet and fun, we use our fake ID's and some of their connections to get into a few night clubs.

-

Mal and I wake up the next morning in her room both with pounding headaches and acidic filled stomachs.

"Why do we always do this to ourselves?" I groan with my eyes still closed.

The two of us aren't the biggest partiers but when we're together it's like it becomes our mission to shut down the clubs and make ourselves sickly drunk.

"Because we have no self control," she lightly laughs.

"Bagels?" She asks a second later.

"I don't think I can move," I laugh, which just makes me feel more nauseous so I stop. But we both get up and slowly get ready anyway, it takes an hour because we're both moving like snails but we're finally sitting at her favorite cafe.

"How was California?" Mallory asks before she takes a sip of her coffee.

We didn't get to do much catching up last night we were so focused on getting guys to buy us drinks.

"It was fun! I missed Trev, it's always nice to be all together as a family again." I love my family, so so much. Even if I fight with Griffin all the time, he's still my twin.

"Does he still live with that guy you think is cute?"

I laugh at her and nod, picking up my bagel and taking a bite.

"Since you're not with Connor anymore did you make a move?" Mal has made it her own personal mission to find me a new guy since Connor and I split.

"No, but we all stayed at their place one night and I couldn't sleep, Connor called," I try to slip it in quick enough so she won't notice, "And."

"Pause," she holds her hand up, "Connor called?"

I slowly nod, "Drunk, begging for me to take him back, again."

"Kenny, sweetie, I love you but you need to block that losers number."

"He's not a loser!"

"Oh honey," she has this sweet, disappointed tone. I hate it.

"Finish your story but we're circling back to that," she nods.

I finish telling her how I bumped into Jamie and about us watching TV all night.

"And nothing happened?"

I shake my head, "Not a thing."

"Do you want something to happen?"

I shrug, "He's not like anyone I've dated in the past."

"You've only been with one guy," she sasses, "Who, once again, is a loser. And this one's on a pro hockey team!"

She's wrong though, there's one guy I hooked up with last summer but we both agreed to take that night to the grave. Because if Trevor found out I think he'd have a heart attack.

I glare at her, "You know what I meant! Jamie's quiet and sweet. And I'm not."

She laughs, "That's for damn sure."

"Hey!" I kick her under the table.

"Ow!" She groans, reaching down to rub her leg, "I didn't mean that in a bad way!"

"Whatever," I reach over taking a grape from the fruit bowl she bought.