Chapter 2 - Omega

Eric took Sylvia home along with Lanie who decided to have dinner with her family.  He left immediately though as he received a message from his father, the current Alpha, to meet with him as soon as possible.

Sylvia saw the motorcycle her father uses to go to work parked in front of their house.  Mr. Burgi works as Ski Resort manager down at the resort miles below from where their village is.  He stays in there during workweek and goes home every Friday.

"Papa!" Sylvia shouted upon entering their Chalet house.  The houses built for their kind, though it is your typical timber house, have roofs that are reinforced with slabs to prevent damage from heavy gales.  Their garage on the left side of the house has their old but maintained blue car and enough space for motorcycle.

"Hey! Baby how are you?  Why didn't Eric come in?"  Mr. Fadri Burgi, in his late 30s, a businessman who hugged his runt tightly.  She is his only child in his house now.  Soon after finishing her upper secondary schooling, she will leave for the university too.

His other two sons, both taking higher education at the ages of 19 and 20, are now staying at the dorms.  They are pursuing engineering and medicine degrees to become helpful in the village once they become part of the working class. The Moon Winter University for werewolves is located at the midsection of the Alps. A pretty large university with a separate building for student dorms.

"The Alpha wants him back to their home asap.  Anyway, why are you home so early Papa? Did you bring me apple strudel perhaps?"  Sylvia asked, her green eyes beaming. Lanie sat quietly at the living room just waiting for Sylvia's excitement to tone down.

"Ehhhhh good guess baby! Here it iiiisss."  Mr. Burgi said in singsong, loving the happiness his daughter is showing.

"And for my daughter-by-heart, your favorite apricot cake."  He gave the cake to Lanie who is a good as his own daughter since they are of the same age; their birthdays are even days apart only.

"Oh wowwwww! Thanks Pops!"  She gave him a quick but tight hug.

After a while, Mrs. Lea Burgi came home from kindegarten where she works as a preschool teacher.

"Hi mom! Welcome back!"  Sylvia hugged her mother enthusiastically.

"Hmmm? You're a bit perky than usual.  Did your father brought you your favorite dessert again?"

"Hihi!"  She just giggled and sat beside Lanie.

"Oh hi Lanie, you stay for dinner okay? Don't eat your dessert yet."  Mrs. Burgi smiled warmly to Lanie.

"Yes mom."  Lanie answered.

The two teenagers chatted while waiting for Mrs. Burgi to finish preparing for dinner.  Mr Burgi took a warm shower and changed in more comfortable clothes.

When dinner was ready, they gathered to the dining room.  Sylvia helped in setting up the table.  She put the apple strudels in one plate so that everyone can enjoy the deseert later.  She also prepared on small plate for the apricot cake slice bought for Lanie.

"So... tomorrow will be Eric's formal positioning as Alpha.  His father will step down and take a seat at the Ethereal Council.  He will have to announce his Luna sooner or later.  Aside from his pack duties, he has to do well in his higher education..."  Mr. Burgi sounds like he is summarizing a grocery list.

"He... he promised he'll make me his Luna."  Sylvia shyly admitted.

"Sylvia, baby, this actually maybe expected by the whole pack.  Aside from the fact that you are an omega which means you're the most ideal partner for an Alpha, you are also his girlfriend."  Mrs. Burgi held her hand and continued...

"However, an omega have a more complicated system when it come to pairing.---"

"Lea... don't scare the child..."  Mr. Burgi tried to stop his wife.

"Honey, she needs to hear this.."  Mrs. Burgi continued...

"Of course like a typical mate couple, as long as you are fated pair everything should fall into place and you will be like two pieces of a puzzle fit together.  Like a lock and key.  The difference is in the end, on whether you become a formal couple or not."

"Formal couple or not..? Meaning... rejection?  But he said he will make me his Luna so he will not reject me.  Right?"  Sylvia said, confused on where the conversation is going.  She looked at her parents then to Lanie, seeking support.  Lanie squeezed her other hand.

"Ahmmm...sorry to ask, but what's the difference you mentioned?"  Lanie interjected.

"If an omega is rejected, she will also feel pain, hence the need to accept the rejection to stop the pain which typically stems from the heart like a burning sensation or similar to an impending heart attack.  Normally, you can get rejected and paired to a new mate by destiny over and over.  But for an omega, you only get a second chance.  And if you get rejected twice, it is said that you will face a painful death before the dawn of the next day.

However, if you get accepted by your fated pair.  It was said that you bring thrice more strength to your Alpha and your union is blessed by the Moon Goddess with prosperity and power."

"How did you know you are mates?" Sylvia asked her mother.

"On his 18th birthday, we both smelled a very distinct scent which only the two of us can follow and it led us to find each other.  That time, we have a village cook out so it's like we were gathered so your father can easily look through the pack for his mate. He had it easy really."

"Awwwww sweet."  Sylvia smiled at her parents with literal hearts in her eyes.  Lanie smiled too.

"Oh well, let's see what will happen tomorrow.  Get ready earlier as well.  Since there's no school tomorrow, your brothers will be here to witness Eric's formal Alpha positioning. I suppose you all receive the mind-link announcement earlier today about the time of congregation tomorrow?" They all nodded in response.

Lanie went home to her house next door after dinner.

Sylvia excited for the next day slept peacefully in her room.

"I really thought you will be blunt with her..."  Mr. Burgi said as he pulled his wife by waist and hugged her while laying side by side on the bed.  He kissed her hair and buried his face in it.

"Haaahhh... it is indeed hard.  I cannot say it to her straight that her being an omega in this pack doesn't necessarily means she is his omega."

The couple slept with a bit of worry in their hearts.