Chapter 14

It was the middle of the night. I kept tossing and turning. I turned around to get in Loki's embrace but he was gone. Were the hell was he?

*Loki's POV*

I wandered through the halls of the compound. I couldn't sleep. Nightmares kept haunting me. I walked outside to the balcony. It was near my brother's room. I opened the door and went outside. I could see the lights of New York in the distance. The sky was clear. I looked to the stars. 

I miss home... Wherever that may be now. Face it, I miss Asgard. The parties, the battles, glorious purposes. I miss mother. If there was one person who I would love to speak to now it was her. Her advice would help me get back on track.

The door opened behind me.

"Brother why are you up", Thor questioned.
"Couldn't sleep", I answered.
"How come?"

He walked closer and came standing next to me. I sighed and looked back to the lights of New York right in front of me. 
"Nightmares, visions. I can't determine which one is which."
"You need mother", Thor concluded. I let out a soft yes and looked down.
"What happens in your visions?"
"Terrible things. I can't protect her. I- I-"
"Lady Freya", he asks. I nod. 
"Oh Loki."

He lays his arm around me. This doesn't happen a lot. Me and my brother being this genuine and close. But for the times that it does, I'm glad he is by my side.

I must find a way to keep him away from Freya. He can't find her. Sure I understand that he wants revenge on me for the attack on New York, stealing the Tesseract and trying to kill him with my daggers. But he can't use her in order to sabotage me. 

"I must protect her Thor", I sobbed.
"And I will help you with that. But I think, in order to protect her, she must know-"
"No she cannot! She cannot know Thanos is still haunting me-"

"Thanos", a soft, familiar voice asked from behind us.

*Freya's POV*

"Thanos", I asked them. 

Loki and Thor both turned around and looked terrified at me. I clearly heard something I wasn't allowed to.

"Freya, we-", Thor stammered.
"Loki, what's going on?"
"Darling I-"
"I should be going", Thor said in order to get himself out of this. He walked away which leaved Loki and me alone. Loki sighed and reached his hand out to me. I gave him a puzzled look but he made me take his hand. He pulled me closer. 

"Freya I've been wanting to tell you but I couldn't. I couldn't bring you in danger. I can't bring you in danger. I-"
"Why would I be in danger? What has Thanos to do with us? Is he the reason of your nightmares?"

He took a deep breath.

"I should start from the beginning. The attack on New York, you remember. I- I was being controlled by him. Hence why I was so cruel."
I looked at him in confusion.
"I was being ordered by him in order to gain what I wanted. I title, a rule, basically some recognition. He would help me if I delivered him the Tesseract. It wasn't too difficult to retrieve that one. So I made a deal with him. Midgard in my command together with the Scepter in exchange for the Tesseract. After my attack had failed the scepter was in hands of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Tesseract and I were taken back to Asgard where I faced my father. Thanos let me be. At least that's what I thought. When Ragnarok had happened and we were on our way here, Thanos intercepted our ship. His soldiers attacked my people, slaughtered half of them. Thor and I had to face him. I had stolen the Tesseract from Asgared before it would've been lost in Ragnarok. He knew, that's why he had tracked us. He threatened us, nearly killed my brother and I, after I had tried to kill him, for the Space Stone. But by a miracle we both survived. We came to Midgard. We made New Asgard to what it is today and prayed the Titan would leave us be. But-"
"But he still wants revenge on you and Thor."
"Entire Midagrd actually. He knows the Avengers are his biggest enemy. So he has to take them down first."

"But why am I important?"
"He isn't foolish Freya. He knows we're in love. In order to strike down your enemy you must find their weak spot-"
"Me."

Loki nodded. 

"I must do what I never wanted to do", he said. Tears filled my eyes. I knew exactly what he meant. 
"No! I am not breaking up with you! If Thanos wants me he can come and get me. I will fight for us."
"Freya please don't-"
"No Loki! I love you and I won't leave you."
"Then you will die", he screamed at me. I stepped back. He realized what he had said and tried to get closer.

"Freya, please. I'm sorry", he apologized as he reached back out to me.
"I can't leave you", I cried.
"I know, but it's for your own safety, until we have defeated him. You won't have to miss me."

In his hand a necklace appeared. Gold with a green pearl. He helped me get it on.
"Wear this and I will always be by your side. I'll watch over you, I promise. But please, you must take care of yourself."

I cried and sobbed. I couldn't think clearly. I threw myself in his arms and cried in his chest. He laid his hand on the back of my head and kissed my head gently. I could hear him sob too. I looked back at him and crashed my lips on his. He kissed me as passionate as a, perhaps final, kiss could be.

"Friday", I asked while drying my tears.
"Yes miss Freya", she replied.
"Book me a flight to New Asgard tomorrow morning, at Stark's expense of course", I ordered her. 

He looked at me in confusion, but I gave him a little wink.
"You naughty little sausage", he chuckled.
"Watch out or I'll become the goddess of Mischief", I teased.
"I'll be happy to kneel before you."