Chapter 9

"Where's Natasha", Banner asked Clint.
"I lost her", he sobbed.
"How could you", Banner got furious. 
"To retrieve the Soul Stone, another must take it's place", he explained. Everyone got quiet. They lost one of their greatest fighters and friend.

Days went by and no one actually really spoke to one another. Some were angry that the mission had failed. Other were mourning. And some others didn't want to accept Nat's death.

"We have to go back in time", Banner said while looking into documents. Desperate to find a way to save Nat.
"Bruce, she's gone", I tried to comfort him.
"No", he kept repeating. I sighed and walked away. I opened the door and sat outside for a moment. I wonder what Freya's up to. I hope she's alright. 

What about that version of me that escaped during the mission? He's not facing Odin's charges which means he is free right? But if that's true then that means we opened another timeline, different from ours. Did we open the multiverse?

"Ah brother", Thor said as he found me sitting on the bench.
"Yes", I asked him, curious to know what he's up to.
"I was thinking it's a good idea for us to go back to the uni."
"But we aren't finished here-"
"I know, but for now there's nothing we can do. Our students need us. Freya needs you."

Freya... 

"Wait what", I asked in disbelief. Does he know?
"Brother I grew up with you. You seriously think I don't know when you're in love?"
"Thor, Freya and I- We're-"
"It's okay Loki. You're secret is safe with me. You care for her deeply and I support you in that. She needs you now."
"How do you know?"
"A woman in love always needs her other half with her, no matter what."

Later that day we decided to leave the compound and go back to New Asgard. The Bifrost brought us back and I went to my little cottage. Home. We arrived early that day, a little hour before my first classes. Before seeing Freya again.

I changed into my usual clothes and went to the Uni. I went to say hello at the reception and had a little chat with Mary, the woman behind the desk and always taking care of our students. 
"Hello professor Laufeyson", she greeted me.
"Morning Mary, how have things been here", I asked her while receiving some documents. They were essays and tasks from students that I had ask them to make.
"Alright sir, although there's one student I'm worried about", she said. I was looking through the different documents but couldn't find Freya's. I looked at Mary in confusion.
"Freya hasn't been to class for the time you were gone. I'm worried about her Loki."

Me too.

"Thank you Mary, I'll look into it." I walked away to my first class, one with Freya. I hope she'll be here. I opened the door to my classroom. The door was unlocked, but the lights were out. I slowly opened the door. I could hear heavy breathing and if I am not mistaking I thought I heard moans. I put on the lights and found two students making out on a desk in the corner of the classroom. The girl was already half dressed out. She quickly covered herself in embarrassment. 

"Professor Laufeyson, we can explain-", the boy tried to explain himself. 
"I don't need to know. Help your girlfriend get dressed and get out of my classroom!"

He did as he was told and they quickly got away. He tried to apologise again, but I couldn't care. Not now. I took out my books and laid them on my desk. Next to it the pile of essays. I put my bag on the ground and sat down in my seat. I took out a pen and started to read the first essay. 

Time passed by. I was a little early for my class. I just couldn't wait to see Freya again. I wanna know if she's alright. The first students started to enter the classroom. No Freya. Another five minutes passed by, another fleet of students walked in. Still no Freya. 

The clock struck 10 am, class was gonna start. Still no Freya. This didn't feel right. I gave my classes for today, slightly unenthusiastic. 6 pm, finally done. 

I packed up and left as quickly as I could. I ran through the halls, hoping to find her here in the building. If not she must be in her dorm. I opened the door to the library. She hangs there often to study or not to be in her room. She told me once she loves sitting there when everyone's gone and night has fallen over Asgard. She could look outside for hours. The little lights, the Asgardian people meeting outside. But mostly when it rained. Oh she loved thunderstorms and rain in the evenings. It would calm her mind.

I walked through the library. Checking every aisle for her. Every table. All the way in the back I saw a girl sleeping. Her head was resting on her arms that were folded on the table. Providing her of some sort of pillow. I walked closer, carefully not to wake her up. 

I could recognize her out of a million: Freya. She was sleeping. I took the chair next to her and slowly rubbed her back. A gentle way to wake her up. She groaned, slowly lifting her head up and adjusting to the lights. She looked around and eventually looked at me.

"Please, leave me alone Sir", she whimpered as she took a little distance from me. I laid my arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.
"I am not letting you go so easily darling", I said to her as I laid my head on hers. Her body melted in my embrace from as soon as I spoke the word "darling". I pulled her closer and gently kissed her head. 

"Why didn't you come to school while I was gone", I asked her.
"I couldn't", she started to sob. I looked at her, waiting for some explanation.
"When I came to the first class after you left... It just didn't feel the same. I missed you terribly. I locked myself in my room. I kept overthinking what you were doing. If you were fine. What was happening and why you had to leave so quickly."
"I am so sorry Freya. I should've informed you about my whereabouts. But what pains me the most is that you skip your classes simply because I am not here. Freya I don't want you to be dependent of me."
"I- You're right", she tried to defend herself. Eventually she gave in.

"Shall I take you home. I'll make it all cosy and make up for all the time you had to miss me."
"No, we can stay here. You know I like the library a lot."
"As you wish."

Her essay.

"Freya, I don't wanna be that teacher but I really need your essay. You haven't submitted it."
"I know. Would you mind giving me another day. I'll have it finished by tomorrow evening."
"Why don't we work on it together now", I suggested. I don't know if that's allowed. She nodded and took out her laptop. I took out my documents and we started working. Slowly, on her tempo.

"I love you", she said randomly.
"I love you too my sweet."