Chapter 2

I run back towards the pack clearing.

It's 10pm. I've been gone for three hours.

I shift behind a tree and get changed back into my dress that I've been wearing all day. Someone must have heard my bones cracking as they growled. But once they did they stopped, as they must have smelt me.

"Amber? Is that you?" I hear a familiar voice ask. "It's me, Tanesha."

"Yeah, it's me." I say, sighing heavily.

There's no point in living anymore. My wolf wants to go and find my mate and be happy with him. But now? I can't, I'm marrying a mate less man. A man who has rejected or been rejected. Either way is an outcome I don't desire. But that doesn't mean he has to marry a younger girl who still values a relationship with her future mate. Nonetheless I didn't want this at all.

My parents always used to ask me if I would marry a man in the pack if I didn't find my mate. And every time my answer was the same; no. Mainly because I desired that connection with someone who's DNA was perfectly matched with mine. Someone who would understand every decision I made. A mate who would understand it's not him and I, it's us.

I will never stop searching until I either find him, or know why I can't find him. The latter I dreaded greatly.

"Come on, we have to sneak in through the back of the house." She says, grabbing my arm in a soothing manner without applying to much pressure, much to her obvious display of stress.

"Why?" My brows scrunched together, I hesitated, taking a step back despite her hold on my arm.

"John and your father are arguing." She says, worry filling her eyes like water filling a tank. She looks away, biting her lip with a small tearless sob escaping her mouth. I could tell it pained her immensely to see and hear John in such a mood.

"About what?" I ask, mentally face palming myself once I ask. It was quite clear to everyone around us, even other pack members. I could feel eyes on me even if there weren't any. Like all my personal matters were being put on display to the world.

"To be perfectly honest,  John hates it. He hates it that you have to marry a man at such a young age when you still have the chance to find your soulmate. And to be fairly clear, I hate it too. I'm not in a position to say negative things about your parents, my in-laws, but it truly is distasteful that they would dare force this upon you." She paused. "Your brother wants you to feel how he felt when he found me; happy."But as she says this, her gaze can't meet my eyes. I feel as though she's lying. I shake off the thought.

"Oh." I am completely and utterly speechless. In this moment I couldn't make out words that could describe how I was feeling.

'Did he really care that much?' I think to myself.

'Of course he cares!' Scarlet screams in my head. She really had an attitude lately and it was so unnecessary.

"Ok, let's go." I say as she pulls me towards the house. We walk towards the steps that led to the house. I breathed heavily and grimaced as her hold on my arm tightened.

Immediately I hear the yelling and the smashing. I can hear my father yelling at the top of his lungs. A shiver runs down my spin as I hear the loud noises coming from the house. I know that when father gets mad, he gets really loud and likes to smash things. Just goes to show how much John can ignite his anger. I hear John defending what I stand for and I smile at the fact. It's really sweet of a brother to do that considering some siblings relish in their other siblings misfortune.

"Tanesha, can you stay with me? You're like a sister to me and I don't want to be alone tonight." I say, tears starting to well up in my eyes. It was true, Tanesha had been there for me a lot and every time either of us go through a rough time, we had become noticeably closer.