Chapter 11

"You know why I'm here," Cyclone said when Abigail set her pen down.

"Of course I do," she sighed. "You want my answer about the job,"

Cyclone closed the door behind him, sitting in the chair across from her. "Do you have one?"

Abigail sighed. "I made a promise, to my old squad and this squad, it was the promise to keep them safe, of course, I wouldn't be up in the air as their wingman but on the ground, I would make sure that their best interests were kept,"

"Is this your indirect yes?" Cyclone asked.

"I have one thing I need to know, How much will you require me to lie and keep things from the squad?"

Cyclone paused for a long time. "We will require you to keep a lot of things confidential, how you choose to do that is up to you but it is for their good,"

"How much say will I get?" She asked.

"Well you won't have as much of a sway or vote as an Admiral or Captain but your opinion will be heavily considered, so you will have a lot of say."

Abigail groaned dropping her head into her hands on her desk, ". . .I am accepting the job," she said crossing her arms on her desk back at Cyclone.

"Are you sure? You seem hesitant,"

"Of course, I'm hesitant Admiral, I won't lie to you about that because you'll see right through it, I don't enjoy lying to the people I work with, I find it complicates relationships and makes things messier than they should be but I care about this squad and I want to make sure that the decisions being made are in their best interest."

"You'll be thankful you took this opportunity, Abigail, it'll be a large step in your career," Cyclone said standing and leaving her office.

"Lieutenant Floyd," he said "Admiral Simpson," Bob nodded as he entered Abigail's office.

"Morning Bob," she said.

"Why was Cyclone in your office?" Bob asked.

"Why does it matter?"

"I'm just asking,"

"Well, you don't get to 'just ask' you've bearly spoken to me since Christmas and every time you do, you have some smart-ass comment to throw at me " Abigail snapped. "So either tell me what the hell is wrong with you, why you came to my office or get the hell out,"

"I'm just worried, he is your boss after all and if you are-"

Abigail glared at him "If, I said if," he said quickly "If you are with him, I'm worried about the power dynamic,"

"There's no power dynamics, I'm not sleeping with, dating or in any way romantically involved with anyone on base, not to mention I am a grown woman who can make her own decisions so you don't need to worry about me,"

"Besides if you're worried about me maybe have a long talk with Maverick,"

"Abigail, I'm just worried, I'd do the same if Phoenix was in this position," he reasoned

"I will put this simply, You need to keep your nose out of my personal life and romantic relationships and realise I can handle myself if I needed to, so kindly get out of my office and let me work,"

Bob left and not a minute later Phoenix was at her door.

"Why is everyone insistent on interrupting me today?" she groaned.

"You okay?" Pheonix asked.

"Sorry, I'm just stressed," Abigail said.

"It's fine, can I sit?" Abigail nodded.

"Why did Bob look like a struck puppy?" Phoenix asked.

"He's just been a bit of a jerk recently and I got annoyed,"

"The Cyclone thing," Phoenix said.

"Yeah, despite me constantly telling him Cyclone was just talking to me about a job promotion," Abigail said looking at her emails.

"I mean you won't tell us about this promotion," Phoenix reasoned. "Trust me Phoenix, I want to and I can eventually but I can't, not till I get it at least,"

"Fancy chair secrets," Phoenix chuckled. "Fancy chair secrets," Abigail agreed.

"Bob. . .Bob is a surprisingly closed-off person when it comes to emotions, he doesn't seem it but I've learned he doesn't talk about things, his family, his emotions, all that,"

"He's a protective person, he's worried about you cause he cares and he can't tell you that,"

"Well, he better learn," Abigail sighed. "Cause I'm sick of him like this, it's outta character,"

"It is and trust me I'm going to lay into him about his communication issues "

Abigail opened a new email.

To:
abigail.m.seresin@navy.mil, cpt.petemitchell@navy.mil, adm.beausipmson@navy.mil

From:
adm.thomaskrazansky@navy.mil

Urgent Matters Meeting

I apologise for the short notice but there's an Urgent meeting that needs all of your attendance. It is to be held off base, I have included the address and directions in this email. I urge you all to leave as soon as you can be dismissed. Seeing as that is my jurisdiction, you are all dismissed as soon as you read this email.

From,
Admiral Thomas Kazansky

"Pheonix, I need to leave, now," Abigail said quickly shutting off her computer.

"Is something wrong?" Phoenix asked concerned standing up. "I don't know" Abigail answered honestly.

"But I need to leave for a meeting" she answered.