Chapter 3

The naval cafeteria was just like being back at high school, looking for somewhere to sit when you didn't know anyone.

"Abigail!" The young woman jumped at the shout, Fanboy was waving her over to a table.

Abigail smiled brightly walking over "Come, sit, eat with us," he said pulling her to sit next to him.

"Are you sure I'm cool enough?" She teased.

"Never were and never will be," Jake shot back,

"No one asked you," Abigail said sitting down with Fanboy.

"I hate cafeterias, they remind me of high school," Abigail grumbled taking her food out of her bag.

"I'm sure you sat with all the cool kids at school," Rooster laughed.

"She wishes," Hangman said around a mouthful of food.

Abigail threw a balled-up paper napkin at him. "One, fuck off, two don't talk with your mouth full, I know our mother taught you better," Abigail lectured.

"She also taught you to be ladylike, those lessons have gone out the window," Jake shot back.

"Excuse you! I'm as ladylike as they come," Abigail fained offence as she did up her southern accent and emphasised the drawl in her words.

"Tell that to Jack Harris," Jake said. Abigail gave him the finger.

"What's that?" Fanboy changed the conversation pointing to the box in front of Abigail.

". . .My lunch" she answered opening the lid.

"Scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli and tofu bacon," she recited.

"Vegetarian bullshit," Jake said quietly.

"Honestly, I had no time, So it's a mix of leftover dinner from last night and breakfast from this morning" she admitted.

"Your vegetarian?" Phoenix circled back.

"No. . .And Yes," Abigail answered. "I was never a fan of meat. Chicken I didn't mind but most meat just wasn't appetising to me, And when I went to law school, my roommate was Vegan and she introduced me to loads of alternatives that I happened to like way more so I just choose to cook with those instead of normal meats," Abigail explained.

"Though some people aren't fond of it," she said glaring at Hangman.

"We grew up in Texas. Barbecues and family meals ain't right unless they got hamburgers, stake or sausages," He insisted.

Abigail rolled her eyes with a chuckle. "It's nice and cooks just as well as any bacon from a pig," she said simply starting to eat.

"I can't say much, I'm from California, there's a million alternatives to everything over there," Rooster shrugged.

"Rural, small town Wyoming, Vegan and vegetarian wasn't a word,"  Bob added.

"Well I for one, think it looks great," Fanboy said.

"Want to make it any more obvious you want to fuck the new girl," Payback quipped.

"Dude!" Fanboy shouted. "Gross!" Jake yelled at the same time.

"You know, I think I've lost my appetite. I'm just gonna finish up some papers," she said standing up.

Abigail placed the lid on her container and shoved it in her bag quickly to leave the cafeteria.

"Well done dude" Fanboy tutted.

"Me!?" Payback shouted.

"Yes. you," Fanboy confirmed.

"I can't believe both of you," Hangman said as he stood up following after Abigail.

"You shouldn't have said that," Phoenix agreed  "It was a joke Pheonix, come on," Payback argued,

"A bad one, in horrible taste," Phoenix said.