16th February, 1668

Even as I write this, my heart breaks. I believed not even a day ago my life would finally be my own. My own choices, my own thoughts, even my own opinions. I was erroneous. A cretin blinded by a loving heart and clouded mind. How could I believe he would set me free to be with the man I loved? His harsh grip and attempted sexual encounters had become nightmares only to me now. Until yesterday.

Arriving into the village to fetch my father, I discovered his guards. They had with them a portrait of me painted one of my first days at the castle and showed it to every soul before making their way to my father's cottage. As my father would not open the door, they lit torches and tossed them upon the roof, making it grow high and hot with fire. Eventually, it fell to nothing but a wall and ashes. I screamed and ran as I could hear my father inside. The desperation in his voice haunts my silence as I imagine what he was reckoning at such a time. When the fire burned out, they went into the building as I was held by another guard.

By now, my appearance was changed. My hair was now always wavy and down since I had not been able to properly brush it in weeks, months even. My clothes were not that of a King's lady and especially not expected for a lady of my stature. This is what allowed me to stay free for those longer moments. As I stood before my cottage, my heart as well as my memories turned to sadness and despair, one guard found my appearance was remarkable and ordered me back to the castle.

In the initial day back to my living hell, I did all in my power to escape. Unfortunately, being locked in a carriage then placed on a boat-it was nearly impossible. What was I to do? How could I get to Gabriel? My candle goes out slowly as the night turns into early morn. I am trapped as a slave returning to land as a fugitive. I was terrified for what was to come of me and Gabriel if seized.