On The Run

"You're never gonna believe what the townspeople are saying." Finan barged right into the small room. "Apparently you were dragging some woman from the woods around..." he stopped mid-story as his eyes fell on the small woman tied up in the corner.

He looked between Sihtric, Osferth, and the unknown prisoner. Completely shocked as he walked into something he shouldn't have, brought out of his many thoughts by a small and timid. "Hey there, any chance you could tell these arses to untie me?"

He turned around looking down the street both ways making sure nobody had seen the scene inside, before closing the door. "What the hell man, you're kidnapping innocent residents now. Do you have any idea how scared people are of you? If you weren't for Uhtred they would hang you at the gate." halfway through his rant he stopped confused as Sihtric raised his finger, hushed him, and motioned to the somehow still sleeping Monk. The Irish lowered his voice back down and continued while moving towards the woman to untie her. "I know you're going through some tough times, we all are. Now is not the time for acting like an uncivilized...". He stopped realizing the death stare from the Dane, only meters away. "Don't" he simply warned, sending goose bumps up Finan's back who returned in a whisper. "Why? Give me ONE reason I should let you keep her tied up like this."

"For her own safety." He shot him a look, urging him to just drop the topic. "Go to bed, you're drunk."

Finan looked at him in disbelief before giving up "We're talking about this tomorrow, you are not getting away with this disrespect." He jumped into the bed and within seconds a light snore could be heard mixing with Osferths breathing. Lilith let out a huff in disbelief at the scene that had just unfolded. "Hey" She called out in a whisper aiming to get the attention of the still not sleeping Dane. "Come on, just let me go. I'm telling you I really can't be here, some people are looking for me and I really don't think you guys need to get involved with this. You have to spend your energy on being there for your Lord and saving the world. Don't waste your energy on me I'm no one." hoping to convince him to untie her. "Untie me and I will get out of your hair. "

He stepped closer, not breaking eye contact. "Who?" he questioned her, moving closer.

She was lost for words as she noticed his biceps dancing as he unbuckled the big fur cape resting upon his shoulders. "No one special." she sighed.

"Well in that case they can wait." he swung the cape over her to use as a blanket, "Or they would have to get through me, now wouldn't they? Go to sleep."

She let out a heavy sigh in defeat and gave into the heavy weight of the fur. How did he maneuver with this thing? It was almost the body weight of a grown woman. She watched as he sat down on the floor at the end of the bench, encircling her, leaving no route for an escape without either crawling over Osferth or him. The various breathings lulled her to sleep. She was done fighting the obvious exhaustion.

The next morning Sihtric was woken by Finan's feet gently kicking him in the chest, and motioning for him to follow him outside. He willingly got up and followed the man outside knowing full well where this was going. On the way to the door, he noticed the baby monk's blanket half on the floor and tucked him in before exiting the room. "You have lost your mind, my friend. How could you tie up a civilian and parade her through the town? Just after Aethelfleds funeral at that. What is wrong with you." trying not to wake up the youngins. "If you wanted women you could just go to the whorehouse, like we usually do. You can't just take them off the street by force." Finan interrogated his companion, trying to understand the sudden change. He was met with a small laugh from Sihtric "It's not like that." clearly not taking the conversation seriously.

"It's not like that? What is it then, who is that girl?" They paused as the door opened, Osferth stepping out. "She is my sister."

"Your sister?" Finan asked confused remembering hearing of the awful memory. "I thought she was dead."

"So did I." he reminded him, taking a seat next to Sihtric.

"Are you sure? If that is your sister, surely she doesn't have to be tied up like some prisoner."

"At the alehouse, I saw Sihtric leaving in a rush sword at the ready so I followed him.." Osferth explained the entire events of last night to the man. Sihtric occasionally chimed in with a small nod or a smile at the memory. To him, it had been great entertainment.

Finan took in the story trying to make sense of it, "Even if she is your sister you can't just tie her up, she could have a family waiting for her somewhere, kids who need their mother. A husband." he tried to remind the men.

"She's a slave on the run" Sihtric let out. Gaining full focus from them both. It's pretty obvious half her wounds are fresh. I saw it, on her legs they're battered and bruised. I wouldn't be surprised if her torso was even worse." He said barely letting himself speak the words. They sat there for a while, Osferth almost breaking into tears again. Before Finan asked, "Are you sure."

"Almost certainly, I've seen it before," he assured the others. They heard movement inside and Osferth rushed to his sister's aid, as she rolled off the bench. Finan was about to follow but was stopped by Sihtrics arm, pulling him back.

"Last night she said something." he started. "They're coming for her."

"We will just have to bring her back with us to Rumcofa."

The warriors agreed and went to fetch some breakfast for the gang.

Meanwhile, Osferth was trying to reason with his sister, she however had no plans of updating him on her experiences since they parted so many years ago. Despite his pleading for her understanding of the drastic measures, she gave him nothing but a cold shoulder. He slowly started untying the belt around her feet, "I know you think we're being too harsh but you would have done the same if you were me." he paused for a bit before untying her hands. "I don't know what exactly has happened to you. But just know you're safe with us. If you just tell us what's wrong we can help. We travel with Lord Uthred, he will sware your protection." and just like that he made the third mistake of the morning, he turned his back, a big mistake on his part. He was not aware of the desperation surging through her. As he was about to get off the floor she overpowered him tying his hands to the table. "You're right, I would. But right now I need to be somewhere you are not." She grabbed her bag and the knives left on the table. She walked to her brother "I love you but I have to do this, so please stay on your path and I will stay on mine. They might intertwine one day but not yet." She kissed the top of his head and looked at him one last time before running out of the house. Hoping to get far enough before his friends would find him. Knowing he was not gonna give up so easily. Honestly, she couldn't blame him, she wanted to stay with them, and she was sure he knew that.

"Sihtric, Finan, Anybody!" Osferth called out hoping to be heard. Not long after the men came running into the room. Their eyes fell to the floor to see him ashamed, hugging the leg of the table. Finan rushed to untie him and Sihtric scanned the room for intruders. "There is no one here, she left on her own," Osferth explained.

"She overpowered you and tied you to this table. On her own?" Finan laughed, wishing he had seen the whole show. "She's a feisty one, ain't she."

"You untied her, didn't you?" Sihtric looked down at him, judging him for his poor judgment.