Chapter 17 - When The Heartbeat Accelerates

~~ Jimmy ~~

"Dr. Jimmy I am here to give you the fees for the camp." Aim extended an envelope towards me.

"I did it for charity. I won't charge for it." I replied dully without looking at her.

She kept the envelope on the table. "This is from the dean. Not something that I am forcing on you. And don't worry. I won't see you again." She smiled yet again and left without saying anything else.

In last 15 minutes, after she left, I am unable to focus on my work. I messed up an injection once. I even gave wrong medicine once.

This has never happened before.

Why am I so worked up always when it comes to her? I wish she was not Pawat. I wish she was not Ohm's sister. Then it would have been easy to be with her.

"Excuse me." A lady stormed into the door. "You are a doctor right? Please help!" She pulled me with her. I ran outside only to find Aim in arms of a guy who was wearing driver's uniform.

"Aim..." I ran and carried her in my arms immediately and ran into my clinic again. I made her lie down and checked her vitals.

"Is she ok?" The panicked lady asked.

"What happened to her?" I asked almost anxiously.

"She fainted on the road. And I immediately got her here." Something told me the lady was speaking the truth.

"She has very high fever." I immediately gave her an injection to bring down temperature. "Where did you find her?"

"Just outside the lane here. I did not even know if there was a clinic nearby. Then someone guided and we brought her here." That lady held Aim's hand. "Aim... Please dear. Wake up."

I looked at her confused. "How do you know her?"

She looked at me confused with teary eyes. "I... I am... H-How do you know her though?"

And then I recalled her face. Of course I have enquired about this family a lot in last few days. How could I not recognize her earlier?

"I am Nanon's friend." I replied.

"Oh... I see. Doctor will she be ok? She is my daughter. And I am too worried right now."

"No I am not." A weak voice interrupted our conversation. "I am not your daughter." Aim opened her eyes and was looking at Mrs. Pawat blankly.

"Aim, stay still." I said and checked her vitals again. "Fever is getting down due to that injection I gave but it's still high. You need to stay like this for a while."

She nodded once and then looked away.

"Aim, what happened to you?" Mrs. Pawat asked her.

"None of your business. Please... Please leave me alone."

Mrs. Pawat reluctantly took a step back and wiped her tears. "I... I am sorry. I was just panicked."

Aim did not even turn her head to look at her. "Ummm... Doctor, can you please call Ohm or Nanon and inform about her?" she asked me.

I nodded and smiled briefly. "Don't worry. I will take care of her." I ensured her.

She nodded and smiled briefly before looking at Aim once. But when Aim did not look at her at all, she left sadly.

"Have you eaten anything since morning?" I asked Aim holding her hand.

She slowly pulled her hand away. "Don't pretend as if you care Doctor."