Luna

"I didn't know you liked her that much."

Cheong-san rubbed the back of his knee and gave me a frown all that night. I couldn't help but chuckle at the memory of the little one. She must be the youngest of my sisters. I like her already. She's feisty behind that quiet expression.

Though, I begin to wonder about each of my sisters. What are they like? I don't care if they despise me. I just want to meet them before it's too late.

I was able to call Mr. and Mrs. Jeong that night before the kids surprised me. Mr. Jeong tried to ask me so many things about LA, but I said that I barely went out.

"How is my grandson? Does he have a girlfriend already? That punk was always bad with girls."

I chuckled at this and said, "I haven't even talked to him and he still seems like a punk."

"That kid needs to go out more. Ever since his mother died, he's just closed himself off. Help me with that, will you?"

"I'm no one's nanny. He seems old enough to figure out girls. How are the kids in class? Are they doing well even if their teacher isn't as good as the last one?"

"This brat. You never change! Hey. Have you been taking your medicine?"

"Yes. Do you think I'm stupid?"

"I think you're reckless. How's your health? Have you been eating well?"

"Yes," I said with an annoyed tone. "I have to go."

"Hey! It's not like you're doing anything! My wife just got home. She wants to talk to you."

Like always, my heart melted for Mrs. Jeong as she sweetly asked about me. I gently responded to all her questions and concerns. I made sure she was okay at the end of our conversation. Then the kids came into the apartment.

Today, I had a small chat with Mr. Yoon and told him about my situation. He understood and said that I could stay with him as long as I helped him pay the rent. I agreed to this and then he left for work. I could see what Mr. Jeong meant when he said that everything changed when his daughter died of cancer. I wonder if anything will change when I am gone.

I didn't step out much. I was scared that I was going to bump into any of my sisters and cause a catastrophe like yesterday. I felt bad for the little one. She seemed so surprised and confused. This kid is so stupid. I can tell he's Mr. Jeong's grandson.

But he came during lunch with the little one. She seemed more relaxed than yesterday. I wonder if she just needed to sleep on it to realize what was going on. But she doesn't hesitate to tell me, "I need you to meet someone before my sisters see you."

She's down to business. I'm almost surprised at her bluntness. But I can see that hint of a fearful shine in her sad eyes and I gave her a small smile.

I quietly followed them down a long path into a nice neighborhood. Cheong-san still seemed awkward with her and I watched them from behind. He kept stealing glances at her and at one point, he finally spoke up.

"In-hye. Are you still mad at me?"

In-hye looked at him for a brief moment and then ignored him. Cheong-san did a long sigh and said, "In-hye, please. Don't be mad at me. I tried warning you. I promise I won't hide anything like this from you. Just...don't do this to my heart..."

In-hye seems to sense the sincerity of his words and only gives him a firm look. "You'll meet Grandfather. Try not to be clumsy this time. He hates clumsy people."

"Yup!" I quietly chuckle at the way he changes his attitude the moment she forgave him. She does a small side smile but quickly hides it when we arrive at a small pretty house.

She takes out a key from her pocket and opens the front door. She lets us enter first and then guides us to a living room. An old man sits by a window with tea in his hand. When he sees us walk in, his smile turns wide and his eyes brighten when In-hye gives him a small bow.

"Little In-hye? What are you doing back home so early? In-joo? I thought you went to work just a little bit ago." His eyes fall on Cheong-san and the old man does a warm smile. "Who's this, In-hye?"

So many questions for the poor girl to answer. She starts with the easiest one and introduces Cheong-san. Cheong-san does an abrupt bow that makes the old man surprised. "Hello, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you."

I roll my eyes at this boy. I swear. I might as well help him if he's after my sister.

The old man does an awkward chuckle and returns his bow with a nod. In-hye seems as disappointed as I am about Cheong-san, but she doesn't worry about him anymore. She looks at me and then at the old man. She sits at the edge of the sofa by his chair and says, "Grandfather...This isn't In-joo. This is her twin."

I can tell why she wanted me to see this man. She's still so confused and she finds answers with him. He must be an old family friend as he seems to understand what's going on almost immediately. I give the old man a respectful bow and stay silent as he observes every inch of me.

"It can't be," he softly says. "So it's true. Your aunt was right. I thought she was kidding, but here you are. The long lost Oh child. You look just like In-joo."

My heart shrinks when I see tears fall from In-hye's eyes. Her small voice carries fear as she says, "So it's true? My parents abandoned another child?"

The old man takes her hand, but In-hye begins to sob. Cheong-san is quick to sit next to her and wrap a comforting arm around her. My heart breaks at the way she sobs with such heaviness. What have I done? I should've never come. Why do I always have to be selfish and think about myself?

The old man looks at me and says, "Would you like to sit? What is your name, dear?"

I sit on the sofa across from In-hye and say, "Luna."

He does a smile. "That was your grandmother's name. Have you talked to your parents? What happened to you? Did they actually leave you in an orphanage? Your aunt thought they were going to let you die."

I wish they would have. But I clear my throat and tell him that I was in an orphanage until I was kicked out at the age of ten years old. I lived on my own and survived on the streets.

In-hye sniffles at my story and anger starts in her sad eyes. "I'm sorry for what my parents did with you. They are evil and they deserve to die for what they've done."

I notice her hands have turned into small fists. For some reason, my heart connects quickly with this stranger. I wonder if it'll be the same with my twin sister.

I give In-hye a small smile and say, "I've only met them once and I don't plan on ever seeing them again. But I did want to meet my sisters when I found out about my past."

In-hye has found that connection with me now. Her eyes soften and they turn sad. I wonder if this is how she normally looks. What have our parents done for this little one to be so sad?

"I would like to talk to you more, Luna," the old man says. His eyes are kind like Mrs. Jeong's but his voice is certain like the Chief's strength. "You are always welcome to come back. But I do want to talk to you about some things you should know. I was a close friend of your family. If you have any questions, I am here to answer them."

My heart finally seems to want to bring back together the broken pieces. If my sisters don't want to talk to me, I'll be happy to have this man as the last piece of the puzzle from my past. Just as I give him a nod, everyone looks up at the sound of the front door opening. In-hye seems to get nervous and she stands to try to look for a solution to this scene.

But it's too late as a woman enters with a tired expression. She looks at us in the living room and smiles. Then her eyes land on me and she furrows her brows. "Unnie? I thought you were at work. Did something happen? In-hye? What happened?" She does a small scoff. "Did everyone get fired today?"

"Unnie--" In-hye tries to explain, but the woman quickly raises her hand for her to stop as she answers her phone.

"Hello?" She's quiet but then her brows furrow again and she says, "Unnie?"

She realizes what's going on as she slowly puts the phone down and looks at me. Her eyes shine with confusion but they show her mind racing as she slowly says, "Who the hell are you?"