In Kyung

I listen to the manager of the supermarket angrily say things to me in Mandarin. I try to ask her to speak to me in English, but she goes on with the angry hand motions and loud voice.

I don't know what I did wrong. I helped a lady get something for her daughter's birthday party and the manager just started yelling at me when she found me in the back storage. There was a man standing behind her with wide frantic eyes and lips stained with her lipstick.

Of course, I understood what was going on. So I quickly waved my hands and said, "Sorry!" I wasn't going to tell anyone. It's not like I can speak to anyone. But I think she's yelling at me because I entered the storage room without her consent. Or something along those lines. If only I could understand what she's saying...

She starts to push me out towards the front doors and I shake my head. This woman is crazy. She continues to yell at me without carrying that customers are watching us with surprise. She finally finds the strength to push me out and I quickly say, "I'm sorry! I don't...I want—"

She continues to yell at me in Mandarin and my blood begins to boil. "I don't understand you!" I say in English but she won't budge. She continues to humiliate me in front of all these strangers walking in the supermarket. She begins to pull on my apron to make me take it off and this time, I resort to panic rather than anger.

I shake my head at her and step back. She finally yells one thing in English that breaks my heart.

"You're fired!"

My eyes grow wide and I beg her. I am close to kneeling in front of her to tell her that I'm sorry. I want to tell her that I promise I won't tell a soul about what I saw, but my English doesn't come through. Eventually, people start to point and record but I don't care. I take her wrist and she pushes me away. For her to be an elder she is extremely strong.

I fall on my bottom and frustration starts to make my eyes water. I try to get back up but the woman only stomps closer. I suddenly feel so small as embarrassment makes my cheeks red. The sound of a car parking by us mixes among the whispers of people.

Then I feel running steps coming up behind me and a strong hold on my arms. This person helps me get back up with such gentleness. I almost think that it's unnie...Well, I suppose it is.

I turn to see Luna help me up and a man with a police badge goes up to the woman. He gently talks to her with a firm look, but the woman continues to yell.

"Luna," I say with frantic tears starting to fall out. "Tell her that I don't want to be fired. I can't! I beg her! I won't tell a soul!"

Luna gives me a nod and gives my arm a small reassuring squeeze before talking to the woman. I'm surprised to see that Luna seems fluent in Mandarin but at this point, I can't be amused by anything but at how crazy this woman is. I didn't even do anything wrong!

I have the urge to sob when the woman angrily waves her hand at me and then walks back into the supermarket with angry stomps. The policeman looks at the people that have gathered around to look at the commotion and loudly says, "Everything's okay! No harm done. Go on with your days."

Some people linger as they whisper and I look down to push back embarrassed tears. Luna comes up to me again and softly says, "Are you okay?"

Am I okay? For some reason, I can't lie to her. I just can't hide my pain anymore as I shake my head in defeat.

Luna goes to the policeman and gently says to him in Korean, "I'll meet you at the station in a bit. I have to take care of this."

The policeman gives her a firm nod and takes out money from his wallet. Luna furrows her brows when he puts it in her hand and he says, "For the taxi." She shakes her head and he only gives us a firm nod.