Finder's Keeper's

Start from the beginning

 The space was small but well-lit. A row of chairs lined the back wall, and a counter with forms and pens was to the right of the door. The lights above me hummed, and I could hear the rain pounding on the metal roof.

 "Ah ok. My name is Mr. Hammond. Only your brother joined up?" I watched as he ducked below the counter and opened a metal safe.

 "Yes, only him." I answered curtly, not interested in talking about Australia.

 "Why didn't you join up? You look young enough. I would go if I could, but I have an injury. They assigned me here, instead." He chuckled softly before pulling up a big steel box from out of the safe.

 "I've had my fair share of battle." A fake smile was plastered on my face as I looked up at him. Before he could say anything else I continued.

 "My brother's name is Australia, he has a 1932 Ford Cabriolet." The man acknowledged me, before opening up the box and sorting through papers and keys.

 "If you don't mind me asking, where did you serve before? I've served in Europe and North Africa." He almost said it with pride, although all I could feel was shame and guilt while thinking about the war.

 "Asia, mostly." I had to look down. The memories were swimming back into my mind. My skin was crawling just thinking about the war. It's been 5 years, yet everything felt like it was just yesterday.

 I remembered a little girl crying as her mother was shot in the head. Her dress was covered in shards of skull and brain tissue. Blood turned her doll crimson.

 The gentleman set Australia's keys on the counter, along with a form for me to sign. He handed me a black pen.

 Touching the paper, I could strangely feel the fibers. He waited for me to sign, but I hesitated. It felt like I was still out on the field, like my soul was still out there, still fighting. But my body was here, with a pen and paper in front of me.

 "Ehem, you just sign at the bottom." He looked at me concerned, and I quickly wrote my signature and swiped up the keys.

 "Thank you. Have a good night." I turned and opened the door, ready to step back out into the rain. I could hear him call after me, but I didn't look back.

 "No problem sir! Hope to see you soon!" I scoffed at his remark. Like hell, I would never willingly go back to that.

 Although, part of me got excited at the thought. Things were simple out there. You had an objective, an enemy. There were no rules. Only kill or be killed.

 I pushed all of the graphic images out of my mind and hurried to the car, the rain lashing the pavement.

 The yellow lights above the buildings strobed and lit up the pathway to the lot. As I walked to the car, I faintly heard footsteps behind me. Stopping for a moment, I heard nothing else but the pattering of the rain.

 Great. Now I'm imagining things too.

 When I reached the car, I was soaking wet once again. The black vehicle looked like a part of the landscape because of how dark it was outside. I stopped for a moment before opening up the door, taking in the scenery of the ocean roaring and wind gushing over the sand. It was chaotic and peaceful at the same time. It was simply beautiful.

 The ocean view from Okinawa was beautiful, too.

 I sighed and climbed into the car, waiting out my memories.

 The wind picked up its pace, howling outside the car. I sighed, exasperated. My white and blue hair fell in front of my eyes, annoyingly dripping onto my face.