Finder's Keeper's

(America's POV)

 The waves crashed, and the water frothed. Everything was silent. I could smell the salt in the air, as well as taste the salt of my tears.

 I wiped my eyes before sitting down on the sand. The ocean looked like a black void after the sunset. The moonlight cast ghostly shadows in the water, a white sheen on the top where the waves began.

 Indignation rolled over me about not catching Aussie in time. He was my little brother, the least I could do was send him off. Even if I didn't approve of him going out to Korea. I didn't want him to come home the way I was after I went out to war.

 It wasn't fair. He shouldn't have to go through that. Anger crept inside my chest. Maybe I was angry that he didn't know better, and that he thought it was an adventure.

 Maybe I was just angry at myself for not going with him. God knows I can't protect him from here.

 Sitting in the sand, I could tell the tide was rising. The water reached up at my legs, retreating before it could touch me.

 I've always loved the ocean, but I hated this town. It had too many memories. I could understand why Australia wanted to get away. I guess he got sick and tired of waiting for me. Recalling his words stung. He was right. He was waiting on a maybe, and I guess I was getting tired of that too.

 The wind bit at my skin, water spraying me and dampening my shirt.

 I should get going.

 Remembering that Aus left his car, I assumed his keys were with the recruitment office. I'd have to go get them, otherwise, it'll be a long walk back home.

 Slowly I stood up, my fingers sinking into the damp sand as I pushed myself up. The moonlight was weak, and the sky was darkening with clouds. Even so, I saw something glistening in the sand.

 I whipped my head around to stare back at the dark water, looking for the shine I saw in my peripheral.

 I saw nothing.

 Before turning to leave, a small golden glint in the sand shimmered again.

 I fell back onto the sand, searching for whatever I saw. I dug my hands into the sand, gliding them over to feel any irregularities. Suddenly I felt a small, round shape fall into the palm of my hand. Upon closer inspection, it looked like a small golden nugget. Only, it was polished and had a small screw on panel on the side.

 Curiosity filled me before a big raindrop landed on my hand.

 The clouds quickly filled the night sky, more and more raindrops landing on me. I quickly stuffed the gold oddity into my overalls and hurried up the beach.

 Running on the pavement, I could see Aus' car parked in the lot far in the back. Racing to get under cover from the rain, I ran down to the other side of Hal's shipping yards. Boats lined the waters, and huge storage buildings were up ahead. When I finally reached the recruitment office, I was drenched.

 A small yellow light was on the outside, casting a horrible tint on the green warehouse paint. I knocked on the door, and someone opened up.

 Warm air hit me in the face as I stepped inside, breathing harshly. A man in a blue military uniform closed the door and turned to face me.

 "What brings you in? It's getting quite late, the ship already left, you know." The man was tall and had slicked black hair. His uniform was decorated with medals and ribbons.

 Nervously I straightened my posture, sticking my hand out for him to shake.

 "My name is America, sir. My brother left for Hawaii, I'm here to pick up his car." We shook hands firmly, and he stepped around me to go behind the counter.