Hidden Plane

Lucas could feel the bass coming from the area and walked up to the entrance. It seemed to be a restaurant or a bar, so he goes inside. He walks into a dimly lit room where he can barely see. As he went in further, he could feel the heavy bass plucks in his chest while a soft melodic piano complimented the heavy strums. The warm lights of a sign that said "Hidden Plane" above the band slowly brightened as the rhythms of drum-high hats began to bring the rest of the instruments together. Lucas began to focus and look around the room, noticing a few groups of people bobbing their heads, sitting at tables while some were having small conversations. He could feel the smooth jazz sound fill the space and felt his legs becoming jelly. He notices a bar, sets his guitar down, and sits there. A trumpet player starts wailing out a cry of sorrow that reminds Lucas of Ella Fitzgerald. He looks at the menu on the table to see different drinks, then immediately stops as he hears a woman's voice behind him. It's so soft yet enticing that he quickly turns around to stare at her. He looks around the crowd to see everyone stopping their conversation from listening to this girl sing. He was taken aback by how her angelic sound matched her physical beauty. Lucas could feel the room filled with her voice but was astonished by how gentle her energy felt. "It's amazing, isn't it?" A woman's voice says close to Lucas. He turns to see a woman a beautiful older woman working behind the bar. "Yeah, I haven't heard a sound like this live; it reminds me of some jazz records I've been listening to lately." The woman laughs, "I've always said that girl had an old soul. Can I get you anything?" Lucas shakes his head, "hmm no thank you. No, wait actually, can I get some water?" The woman smiles, "sure." Lucas watches her fill up a cup of water and sets it in front of him. "Truth be told, I only came here because I heard the music from outside." The woman stops and looks at him with interest, "really now? How fascinating, and you only followed the sound?" Lucas nods, "yeah, it was kind of like the bass was calling out to me and leading me down a few streets and in front of here." Lucas realizes he admitted he wasn't invited. "I'm so sorry if it was rude or if I'm not supposed to be here. I can leave if you want." The woman puts her hand out, "Relax, sweetie. Anyone is welcome. However, not everyone wants to catch my drift. It feels exclusive, yet it's public for anyone to walk in." She laughs as she wipes down the counter. "That's why I named it Hidden Plane. It's hidden in plain sight, yet only those meant to be here can come here. I laughed earlier because you still seemed new to all this, yet you're supposed to be here." Lucas blushes and gets shy, "if you say so. You're right, though. I just moved here, and I'm still figuring out what drives me and my purpose." Lucas pulls out the goggles and looks down, staring at them. She notices the goggles, and her eyes immediately get big. "What, umm, did you say your name was again, dear?" Lucas looks up at her and smiles, "I'm sorry! My name is Lucas. Lucas Lane. Nice to meet you." The woman smiles big, "my name is Luna. It's such a pleasure to meet you." They're interrupted by snaps from the crowd, then continue their conversations.

The girl on stage comes up and sits next to Lucas

The girl on stage comes up and sits next to Lucas. "Hey, mom, how did it sound?" Luna smiles at the girl, "you know how I feel every time. Why don't you ask him? It's his first time here." The girl turns to Lucas, "did you like the performance? You can be honest; I would love real feedback." Lucas smiles sincerely at her, "you sounded fantastic! It felt like I went back in time listening to Ella Fitzgerald like your voice filled the room, yet it was so smooth and soothing!" The girl blushes and smiles, "thank you. I appreciate that. My name is Astra, by the way."
Lucas smiles at her, "my name is Lucas. Nice to meet you!" Luna is leaning back against the wall smiling with her thumb to her teeth, watching the two, "Lucas just moved here and is trying to figure out what drives him." Astra's eyes light up, "really? Why's that?" Lucas puts his hand in his hair, "no reason, I'm just in a band, and I feel like I'm possibly in over my head," he laughs nervously. "I can help you with that. I'm all about spirituality." Lucas looks at her, surprised, "you sure? I don't want to be a burden." Luna laughs, "trust me, Astra needs to get out of the house. just promise not to try any funny stuff with my daughter." Lucas and Astra look at each other, blushing and both look at Luna speaking over each other while Luna laughs at them. "I'm actually about to go by the skate park with some friends if you want to tag along?" Lucas nods his head, "no yeah, for sure, that sounds like a plan."